Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsray

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
posted it on craigslist 6s plus 64gb at&t.

for 600 all i got were joke responds with offers for like 350. lol i know its just people trying to buy and resell it again.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
$600 is quite a lot of money for nearly a year old phone (and peole, when buying, assume it's a launchday device). I see this model around me selling for around $500, $450 or less for those that want a quick sale. The fact that it is locked (or implied locked stating it is ATT) isn't helping facilitate a quick sale considering how easy it is to fid a used unlokced device.

The market is fooded. Everyone has these things. People keep saying iPhones have a great resale value, and perhaps they do compared to the competition, but it is not like you can MAKE money on them anymore. It's another reason why I feel like programs like NExt, Jump, and even Apple's trade program are pretty decent.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Agree with the comments above. Also, avoid Gazelle. You can try instead Glyde or Swappa.

itsray

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
yea. its either that. or pay like 180, trade in the phone and get the 7 when it comes out.

i just want more than enough to pay off the balance and have money to get the new phone.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
$600 is quite a lot of money for nearly a year old phone (and peole, when buying, assume it's a launchday device). I see this model around me selling for around $500, $450 or less for those that want a quick sale. The fact that it is locked (or implied locked stating it is ATT) isn't helping facilitate a quick sale considering how easy it is to fid a used unlokced device.

The market is fooded. Everyone has these things. People keep saying iPhones have a great resale value, and perhaps they do compared to the competition, but it is not like you can MAKE money on them anymore. It's another reason why I feel like programs like NExt, Jump, and even Apple's trade program are pretty decent.
If the OP can get it unlocked I would say $600 is a reasonable price. I am basing it off of AT&T being the same model number as the SIM-free model (A1634) from Apple and what swappa.com is showing:

https://swappa.com/prices/apple-iphone-6s-plus-a1634-unlocked/us

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If the OP can get it unlocked I would say $600 is a reasonable price. I am basing it off of AT&T being the same model number as the SIM-free model (A1634) from Apple and what swappa.com is showing:

https://swappa.com/prices/apple-iphone-6s-plus-a1634-unlocked/us
He mentioned craigslist so that's what I was looking at myself. There's one for $500 as we speak. Another for $250 with a cracked screen. Online prices are generally higher, but I also feel there is more inherent risk involved.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
He mentioned craigslist so that's what I was looking at myself. There's one for $500 as we speak. Another for $250 with a cracked screen. Online prices are generally higher, but I also feel there is more inherent risk involved.
That's true, since there are no fees involved or a shipping cost it would make sense to be priced less if using craigslist. I agree with you though about the risk, which is why I prefer to use the Apple trade in option as its no hassle and generally pretty reasonable on prices.

Reactions: lordofthereef

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
600 might work for unlocked depending on condition and accessories. For example mint condition in the original box with the headphones and charging cable unopened. These accessories don't actually add value but it gives a buyer peace of mind that you take care of your stuff which does add value. Like a used car with all up to date service records.

I would shoot for 520 - 575 for a ATT 6S depending on condition and accessories like mentioned above.

I even go as far as getting my Otterbox case warrantied via Otterbox (for scratches and being worn out) and include it. It doesn't cost me anything and I won't have a use for it anyway. I don't add anything to the price for it but it could add incentive for someone to buy my iPhone over someone elses, plus they will know it was kept in a very productive case.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
posted it on craigslist 6s plus 64gb at&t.

for 600 all i got were joke responds with offers for like 350. lol i know its just people trying to buy and resell it again.

That always happens on craiglist. You can write in big, bold all-cap letters NO HAGGLING. NO LOWER OFFERS ACCEPTED, and you'll get several idiots writing to you saying "I'll give you $200 for it."

One thing you can count on with people: they're stupid. One day someone will blow us all up, and then we'll all be out of our misery.

P.S. Would you care to trade that iPhone for a pack of lightly used condoms?

itsray

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
I know, but man his fingers were all over it for a year. Rather buy new at new prices

actually the phone is only a few months old. 3 at the most. needed a phone for work. but had surgery so I'm off for a while. so figured id sell it. get a 7

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
actually the phone is only a few months old. 3 at the most. needed a phone for work. but had surgery so I'm off for a while. so figured id sell it. get a 7

Even so...$600 is too much, I think. I wouldn't bite at that price. Is the warranty transferable too...I don't know. If it isn't, the value drops further.

But maybe, Joe Schmo...the average consumer doesn't think like this.

Let's not forget by Sept, after the ip7 is announced, the retail price goes down by $100 which affects the used market as well.

So the clock is ticking for you. Only roughly 2 months left before the unveiling.

You might want to rethink the price. Or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: baypharm

itsray

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Even so...$600 is too much, I think. I wouldn't bite at that price. Is the warranty transferable too...I don't know. If it isn't, the value drops further.

But maybe, Joe Schmo...the average consumer doesn't think like this.

Let's not forget by Sept, after the ip7 is announced, the retail price goes down by $100 which affects the used market as well.

So the clock is ticking for you. Only roughly 2 months left before the unveiling.

You might want to rethink the price. Or not.

i know. i think 525 is ok.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
I just bought a mint silver 64gb 6s plus for $575 in Swappa. Try starting a little bit higher. Average there right now is ~$589 Maybe try $550.

itsray

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
i'm not a big fan of pay pal because of how long it takes to transfer to your bank account.

Reactions: baypharm

davidrslynn

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2016

Crunched the numbers and the price increase for an unlocked vs. locked phone is $50. Not sure what AT&T charges but I know some carriers charge way more than that to unlock a phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Crunched the numbers and the price increase for an unlocked vs. locked phone is $50. Not sure what AT&T charges but I know some carriers charge way more than that to unlock a phone.
It's free on ATT so long as you've paid the device off. They'll also do it for active military deployment and some other exceptions. I don't know that you can lay them a lump sum to unlock, outside of whatever is left to buy out the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.