Thinking about selling my MPB, and buying a MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dinamo9, Aug 22, 2011.

1. dinamo9 macrumors member

Hey everyone. I am wondering what I am losing gaining, if I were to switch to a MBA, in terms of speed and performance. I do not need more then 128GB storage. I bought my MPB in December 2009.

My 15.4" MBP specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo (Penryn) - 2.53gHz
    4 GB (2x2GB) PC3-8500, DDR3, SO-DIMM
    250 GB, 5400 rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M - 256 MB

Thinking about buying the 13" MBA

1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    4GB memory 1333MHz DDR3
    128GB flash storage1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

Also if anyone has an idea of what my MBP is worth and I could sell it for that would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

2. Briax macrumors newbie

Buy a 128gb ssd and optibay for you macbook pro.. you'll lose some gpu power switching to that air. I would go optibay and ssd.. your mac will feel completely new again :)

3. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

Thats a good option, thanks for suggesting that.

I should mention that I dont really need a fast computer. I don't do any intensive work on the computer. It is just for basic needs.

The macbook air appeals to me because of the weight. I'm wondering if it is still going to be as fast and smooth as my macbook pro has been at doing simple tasks.

4. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I'm debating between a new MBP and MBA myself.

To find out the value of your current computer, go here: http://www.mac2sell.net/

5. Ntran macrumors member

It depends on your own preference and personal use. For your info, I just sold my MBP 15" C2D 2.6GHz for a 11' MBA ultimate. For heavy task, I already have my Imac 27" at home, so MBA would accommodate most of my tasks when I am on the road.

Since you only use your computer to do simple tasks, the new MBA would be ideal. The Air + charger are still weight far less than the 15" MBP alone, in case you concern about battery life.

6. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I have essentially the same MBP and have already ordered a 13/256 MBA. I intend to sell the MBP. The Air is a wonderful machine. I had the first one but sold it for the MBP because the battery life was so much better. But now the Air has great battery life so I am switching back. For my needs the MBA is far superior.

BTW, I did remove my optical drive and install an SSD. While much faster than before, it doesn't come close to the speed of the MBA's I have played with in the store.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the main thing you will be losing is ... money

8. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

As Briax suggested, I'll change the HD in the MBP for a much faster SSD, that will give you a greater perception of speed from the system and is cheaper than buying a new computer.

Unless of course, you find your MBP too heavy and are internally already convinced of getting an Air.

9. aonali21 macrumors member

I think your idea is well that MBA is better than the MBP because The MBA has a very sexy SSD instead of a bulky hard drive... This is very speedy....!

10. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Can you post pictures of said MBP? I'm interested in used over new... as money is short.

11. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I have been through the same debate as i have the same computer..

as most have mentioned its going to cost a bit.

Your computer can beat it in GPU intensive tasks, but it has the Speed, with $200 you can get yourself a top of the line SSD with a decent amount of memory and increase performance substantially.

What I would love is the weight and portability. However i do have a bigger screen. If anyone would want to trade my pro for their air I would be down (its running 8GB RAM and 7200RPM HDD so it can handle some intense multitasking).

You have 3 choices, restore your MBP and get back some power, great for regular users.
    Install a SSD and get a performance jump.
    Buy a MBA, from what I hear the previous generation MBA has the same graphical power, same battery life, no back lite keyboard, slower on processing however (but comes with the SSD). and is far cheaper used :D

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Just buy a SSD for your current machine. That will save you money and you'll have a better graphics card so you'll see better quality playing games and smoother framerates.

Not to mention a higher(?) screen resolution and a larger screen.

13. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I agree. I would keep the current MBP you have and wait for the re-design. At least, the money would be well spent then.

I also think if you want "speed", then an SSD would be good since you have a C2D. If it were the newer processors, this thread would have been pointless.

14. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

this! ^^^