Thinking About sony FX7

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thegord, Feb 8, 2008.

1. thegord macrumors member

thegord

Hey everyone, i was looking into getting a new camera for filming skateboarding. In the past ive used many different sony handhelds with the century optics fisheye and looking to upgrade...
    Now that hd is going to take over, buying a gl2 or vx2100 doesnt seem right and would like to keep it under 3 grand for the camera alone. (just bought a new mac pro. waiting for its arrival!) the new fisheye is also going to be around a grand. so im trying to keep it under the 4k range..
    Ive read reviews about the fx7 saying it will have a hard time finding a market but also seen youtube videos of manipulation of the video to get 24p and such and looks good! also said bad night shoot but shouldnt be a problem most skating is day time.(maybe Light incase?) im just seeing what you all think, you all have had more experience in the field with different cameras than myself. please give me your opinions thanks. oo and check out these test shots i found on youtube.
    24p conversion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r30ppvKzBTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL0N3Lq2Zt4

regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEzEJjHrsYg

seems like to be able to convert to 24p would be nice im not worried about shooting in full 24p (like with the canon) maybe just for artistic shots or such..

2. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

Was this post inspired by Fully Flared?

I love the HD scenes ;)

3. thegord thread starter macrumors member

thegord

instead of going hd and having the low light issue, i went sd and got the ol reliable vx2100 it will still be good for another year or so and by then they hd market should be in better shape. spending a 1000 more to be mad wouldn't be fun for me. so i ebay'ed a one, should be here tomarrow.. i was thinking fx1, or the canon ah(x?)1 whatever that combo is. but and the end of the day i know shooting at night will not be a problem. new technology is always more and i dont want to go down that road with another broken camera at the end of the day. skating takes a beating on cams. accidents always do happen. not planed but happen. sorry if i made basically a duplicate post.

4. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Have you looked into insurance on your cameras? I pay 34 bucks a year on my GL2 and some other equipment (about 3000 worth).

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

For shooting skateboarding I don't think you'd want to do it in 24fps 'cause that would make quick motion (both in frame motion and camera motion) look jerky compared to shooting in 60i.

Lethal

6. thegord thread starter macrumors member

thegord

of course im not goin to shoot a video in full 24p that just dumb for skating, but for some view shots and filler for a opening it would look nice, everyone has their vision and the one i got goin should be alright. im not strictly using it for skating as well. shorts and other projects, but that isnt a factor too much since i went vx2100. i can try to convert but shouldnt even be an issue. was just an idea for some shots. until i upgrade ill worry bout it then.

7. HD Shooter macrumors member

Z1u

You made a good decision. I had 4 Sony VX2000 and they are great cams. I do miss the low light. I don't recall but you may be able to set that cam to shoot 16:9.... it won't do 24p if memory serves though.

The low light is an issue for the Z1 especially if you want to move the cam around. Same goes for 24p.

You probably know that already. I feel the EX is my next cam and there will likely be an Sony EX1 "light" like the what the FX7 is for the V1

So hang in there the HD solution for you may very well be in about a year and that VX will be gold to someone across the pond who shoots events or something like that...