Thinking about switching from Logic 8 to Pro Tools LE

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by A Pittarelli, May 10, 2010.

1. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

Im thinking about making the jump from Logic 8 to Pro Tools LE once avid gets their socks all in one drawer. Any thoughts from previous switchers?

2. joe.cavers macrumors regular

I switched the other way and after a month of using Logic at Uni, sold my Pro Tools stuff, having used the program since the LE 5.0 days.

Pro Tools LE forces you to use Digidesign's soundcards and also has a proprietary plugin format (RTAS). These were both negatives for me.

What does Logic not do for you that Pro Tools will? I'll try and answer any specific questions you have.

J

3. mesq macrumors member

God no. Why would you do that? Unless you work on projects in a studio that uses Protools and you want to be able to work on it at home why would you go from something that has all the features you need to something where you pay out your nose for less than average useability?

4. Mr.Rigas macrumors newbie

Well ... I Run PTLE8 and Logic ... since its on a mac ..

There are some points that you should know if going for the PTLE..

First of all it is a REALLY good way to learn the PT software, and if you in the future want to switch or find yourself working in a PTHD enviroment the change will not be big at all ...

Some other things people are ALOT concearned about with PTLE is that it dosnt have ADC .. now this is a problem .. but can be dealt with .. and honestly is not that big a problem ..

Someone mentions the RTAS as a problem ??? I cant really see the problem in that .. it works .. and all the plugins worth having come in RTAS ..

Its true, that to use PT you need hardware from Digidesign/Avid .. this is maybe the next biggest concern, since there hardware in the LE lineup isnt that impressive ... but again, it all depends on the final outcome .. and what you need it for ..

Last but not least .. PTLE has one SERIUS problem, even though its not for me ... but for some and that is that there is a limited track count .. this can become a real problem, if you do record ALOT of tracks or have advanced mix sessions .. :)

Protools LE has some issues ... but then again it is awesome software ..
    and for me the workflow suits me better .. and that is in the end what its all about .. :) ..

/Rigas

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

turn it into a positive a purchase plugins from Massey. especially L2007.

6. Mr.Rigas macrumors newbie

Yeah Massey plugs .. are REALLY nice .. :)

7. mesq macrumors member

Yup

Mellowmuse Timeadjuster RTAS
    http://www.macmusic.org/software/view.php/lang/en/id/4865/Auto-Time-Adjuster

Auto Time Adjuster is designed to ease workflow in ProTools LE, when using plug-ins that generate significant latency. Currently to compensate for plugin latency you have to iether move individual audio tracks backwards/forwards or use the included Time Adjuster plugin to adjust the delay of each track in turn. One plug-in change can mean a lot of tweaks in a large project. This is where Auto Time Adjuster comes in, you insert it on every track as the last plug-in, and each track instance communicates their latency with the others. When you add/remove a plugin on a track all you need to do is enter the total latency for that track into its Auto Time Adjuster. All other tracks with Auto Time Adjuster inserted will respond by calculating and shifting their delay to compensate!

If you must use Pro-tools buy an m-powered supported M-Audio interface and save some dosh.