Thinking about switching from WhiteBook to MBP 13 [HELP]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockyroad55, Jul 11, 2011.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I currently have a unibody whitebook. I mainly use it for web browsing, mail, microsoft office suite, and the occasional Zuma game and such. Nothing crazy like video editing or photos.

However, I am still in my return period and am thinking about exchanging it for a 13" MBP for about $265 more (including taxes). I already used my BTS promo card so if I return it, they would deduct $100 from my refund, so that's a no-go. I know I may receive some biased opinions since this is the Pro section, but I wanted a second (or third, fourth, etc...) opinion on if this would be worth it. I do get the backlit keys, i5, and a better casing, but based on my usage, would it be good to shell out that extra $300?

2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

The only way I know how to deal with buyer's remorse is to give in to it. If you don't you'll always wonder.

The white macbook is a lousy "perceived" value compared to the MBP. But that only helps if you realize it before you buy one. :D Really, the only appeal it has for some is that it's white. (Which I'll never understand but whatever...)

3. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

4. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I would do it in a heartbeat! What made my ultimately choose the Pro over the WhiteBook was the i5 processor, and let me tell you, compared to what is in the WhiteBook this thing ROCKS! I have very similar usage as you and didn't really NEED the Pro model, but the i5 and the aluminum as opposed to plastic casing did it for me. I didn't even know about the backlit keyboard and I am loving that as well, so glad I went with the Pro, and I've only had it for a week!

5. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

for your use, you probably wont notice any sort of difference between the two. i would argue however that the macbook pro would be useful for longer as the processor on the macbook is being phased out, and the pro can take more ram.

6. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Would Apple price match Microcenter's $999 pricing even though I am doing an exchange? This would make me shoot to the store right now since it will only be a $150 difference.

I've seen people price match with purchases but I'm doing an exchange and I cannot just leave Apple for MC if they decline the price match since I am kinda stuck since I already used the BTS promo (refund = $100 off refund if card used)

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

they will price match best buy and those big stores i doubt they will for that.

ever consider doing a education discount? unless ur not in school...

heck if ur happy with the white macbook keep it.

if u want a pro, then go for it. u would be getting more up to date specs and better build quality but, theres nothing wrong with ur white macbook

8. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

why dont you return and ask for a price match in a new buy?

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Is it a want or a need? Because honestly, with your listed usage, a netbook is enough computing power for you.

10. ViviUO macrumors 6502

I would go for it. The whitebook in its current form is severely underpowered for its price, just like the mini.

11. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Apple does do price matching, just not publicly as long as the price match is from an authorized retailer.

It is technically a new purchase since when I return it, the easypay will shows as -$899 and that will really be just a credit towards the $1099 macbook pro.

More of a want, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade to latest and greatest if I can afford it for only $150 more right? :)

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I pretty much agree with this.

While both would serve your current needs well, the MBP will be useful for longer, will be more "future-proofed" to use that horrible expression as it seems that the processor on the MB is being phased out (and it would not surprise me if the MB itself were phased out); besides, the MBP will have a better resale value for when you next decide to buy a computer.

Cheers

13. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm going to be a Marketing major if that helps. I know that the i3 processors are Intel's new low-end which makes me think that C2D may be phased out soon. I never know if I will need something intensive later on so I am really thinking hard about this switch.

14. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I would definitely switch to MacBook Pro. I've always said that the white MacBook isn't really worth $1,000. Honestly, Apple shouldn't be charging more than $800 for the white MacBook at this point. If you go to Apple.com and just add 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD to the white MacBook, it'll cost $1,150 - almost the price of MacBook Pro.

Think of what you get by switching to Pro model:
    Better processor
    4GB RAM (2x RAM in MacBook)
    durable aluminum enclosure (itself is worthy of $150 upgrade)
    backlit keyboard
    more connectivity options (such as SD card slot and FW-800)
    more spacious hard drive (320GB in MBP vs. 250GB in UMB)

All-in-all, the Pro model will last you considerably longer than a regular MacBook model.

15. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

the c2d are already phased out, only apple still sell those, they are 2 releases old.

btw I said to return than purchase again, since some managers are a pain to deal with

16. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

the credit card I used is no longer active as in the account is cancelled so a return would not go through at all.

17. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Return then purchase is definitely out of the question because they would take $100 off my return since I already used the promo card for BTS unless they let me return the full amount to a gift card and then purchase a MacBook with that without the $100 penalty.

18. randomrazr macrumors 65816

than i guess ur stuck with the plastic macbook XD

19. rockyroad55, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

What? Did you not read the other comments?

Anyway....I'm going to head to the Apple Store sometime this week. If they can match the price, I'm definitely going to be an owner of a MBP.

20. tombubi macrumors regular

MBPs were just updated a few months ago whereas Whitebooks are still using obsolete cpus, so I think it will be wise for you to go for a MBP.

21. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Aluminum build quality
    Backlit keyboard
    SNB processor

I think that's worth 300 bucks. Especially when you're buying a brand new computer.

22. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

I'll probably wait for Ivy Bridge, it will be cooler and more power efficient than the current models(not that I have a problem with them).

23. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

From what you said you are going to be using it for, you don't need a MacBook Pro...I don't either...when I went to buy it I was planning to get the white but the Pro was a great bargain and I would be an idiot not to get it :D Anyway, i5 > C2D and if you get the Pro you will be future proofed, since it is no secret all new macs will have Sandy Bridge and eventually will stop making software for C2Ds...also, for the specs the white is way over priced...for the extra $200 you will get latest hardware so if money is not too big an issue I would really consider buying it.

24. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Thanks, even though I really have no need for it, I view it as a good switch for me since it would be worth it more.