Thinking about switching to a Mac, advice needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by youthsport, Nov 18, 2008.

1. youthsport macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am brand new to this forum and am in need of some advice regarding whether or not i should switch to a mac and if so which one.
    I currently use a 4+ year old desktop pc with a really old cheap monitor that was given to me. I mainly use my computer for internet, music, photo-editing via photo shop and lightroom, and watching movies.

I am looking for something new, and perhaps a laptop. I live in a small apartment and want something i can move room to room if need be. In the future i may invest in a monitor too so that i can more accurately edit my photos. This computer would be my main computer and if it is a laptop i would like for it to be able to connect with my speakers as well as have some way of getting a video out to my tv with it (that yellow cable). haha so obviously i am not up to date with all the technical jargon but i was curious as to which laptop you would recommend and if not a laptop which desktop?

Thanks.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you are wanting a notebook, the Macbook would be perfect for you. If you are wanting a desktop, the iMac would be perfect for you.

3. dmiller macrumors member

^^^agreed...the good thing about macs is that you either have a consumer level or a pro level...consumer level sounds like it will work fine for you

4. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, my price range will probably be $1500 and under. I would like to buy a laptop that will last for at least the next 3 years, should i buy the more recent macbooks or an older macbook? Is there perhaps a good site i can look up to find out how much i should be paying for all the different types of macbooks?

Thanks

5. dmiller macrumors member

if you aren't dead set on getting the latest and greatest have a look at the refurb site (great way to save some money) you may be able to afford a last gen macbook pro which will provide you with better graphics for you photo editing and organization
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTE2NzY
    there is nothing wrong with these computers so you don't need to worry about them being DOA
    the newer macbooks have better graphics than the last gen which may be beneficial to you..also you can purchase the new 24" cinema display and hook up with no problems on the new macbooks

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you are wanting to spend a total of $1500 (tax included), then there are a couple different Macbook models you could purchase.

The new Macbook low-end model starts at $1,299.

You can find refurbished versions of the last Macbook model in Apple's refurbished section for under $1,100.

If it were up to me though, I would go for the new Macbook model. I think it will last you for many years to come.

7. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

I vote you should buy an old refurbished MacBook, they're nice machines!

(Much better than the "new" ones anyway :eek:)

8. MattOKC macrumors member

I bought a refurb iMac, and couldn't be happier. I was worried that "refurb" meant there would be evidence of previous use. Nope! The thing is immaculate--not a scratch, mark, or flaw anywhere. Mint condition. Works perfectly. I've had it for one week today, and I would recommend this as a buying option to anyone on a budget thinking of going to Apple from PC.

9. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

Would you recommend the newest MB over the prev MBP? I read on this site i think something about the older MBP having a weaker wireless connection is that still an issue? Also why would you recommend one over the other? thanks im just new to macs and it gets confusing.

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The previous Macbook Pro version had a lot of problems with the graphics card. However, the Macbook Pro is a more powerful machine. It also has a 15" screen compared to the Macbook's 13" screen.

The new Macbooks do have a much more powerful graphics card than the previous version Macbook. This is one of the main reasons why I would recommend getting the new Macbook over the previous one.

11. doctoree macrumors 6502

12. macgrl macrumors 65816

Get a new macbook, if you want to get an external monitor in the future anyway the 13 inch screen won't be a problem

13. iBaldy macrumors newbie

I just got a refurb MacBook & its great,with a nice saving aswell.I would recommend the refurb shop to anyone looking to save a bit of money

14. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i think i've made up my mind and am going to continue to save up and eventually purchase the previous MBP. I was wondering if there is anything in particular i should look out for? Is there an issue with wireless on these things still? I read something about the video card going bad? Anything suggestions regarding purchasing one of these would be appreciated.

15. Macintosh001 macrumors member

Macintosh001

Well the macbook pro had some problems regarding to the battery...there were some faulty batteries that would get either very hot or explote but I guess they won't sell you a faulty computer,and also you should know that this computer gets really hot. For the rest they are great!!! Is good you're switiching to Mac...you're gonna pay for quality!!

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If you like poorly built computers with no graphical performance then the old Macbooks are perfect.

The previous Macbook Pro had issues with a warped screen

http://www.notquiteleet.com/mbp2.JPG

And a warping battery

http://www.zdnet.com.au/shared/images/blogs/st/Jeremy_macbook_battery_swell.jpg

And a doomed to fail graphics card.

I would not bother with the old ones.

All in all, get the new $1299 Macbook.

17. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

18. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Get the new MacBook Pro and you will be able to connect it to external monitor and speakers too! Plus, it's going to be super powerful :)

19. dmiller macrumors member

my vote is for a refurb last gen macbook pro...as this is the end of the cycle most of the kinks from the early models are cleared out (your wireless issue and battery) that's not guaranteed you won't have issues with it but i think this will fit your needs the best...buy it with the minimum specs you can (just focus on the processor) and then upgrade the ram and hard drive on your own to save money

20. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

does the previous mbp still have the problem with the nvidia gpu and is it only with the nvidia cuz in that case i'll just get one with the ati. i just dont want to invest in a nice laptop and have it go out on me in a year.