Thinking about switching to a Nexus One after owning an iPhone for two years

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by upsguy27, Jan 1, 2010.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Before I start, I know there's already an Android vs. iPhone thread, but I want this one to be more specific to my situation.

I've been wanting an Android phone since the G1 came out, and I'm really sick of the iPhone after owning one since September 2007. I'm a little hesitant, however. Mostly due to the Android's app store vs. the iPhone's. How is Android's app store? I don't care about the games as much because I never really play them on my iPhone, but how are they on the Android? Obviously there aren't as many apps for the Android, but how are the ones in the app store in comparison the the iPhone's?

Will the Nexus One work on AT&T's 3G network? I know it'll work on EDGE, but how about 3G?

Also, any general opinion about me switching to an Android phone is welcome.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Have you spent any time with an Android phone? I've spent a fair amount with the Droid, and while there are some things about it that are clearly better than the iPhone, overall the UI is too disjointed for me to consider switching. Also, what is it specifically that you are 'sick of' about the iPhone? Are you sure you aren't just bored? Have you jailbroken? Most everything that the iPhone can't do natively I've been able to do once jailbroken.

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

No, I'm planning on going into the Verizon store tomorrow and playing around with the Droid.

I don't know, I've grown tired of the interface and everything about it. I want something new. And yes, I jailbroke my iPhone the second I bought it in September 2007 and have every time I've gotten a new one. Really, it just comes down to me being tired of the same old interface and phone.

4. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

The Nexus One is better than the Droid IMO. HTC manufactures phones with better quality than Motorola. Of course, the buying decision is still up to you in the end. So, good luck! :)

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I haven't read much about the Nexus One, so I'm wondering what makes it different than other Android phones? I know HTC puts its own Sense UI on top of Android on some of its phones, so is that the big difference? Also, does Motorola put a custom UI on top of Android or something?

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Not on the Droid. The Droid is a "Google Experience" phone so it looks and functions the exact same way the Nexus One does. Both run the same UI. The Nexus One will launch with Android 2.1, however the Droid will get the 2.1 update shortly after once Motorola tweaks it for their hardware. The Motorola CLIQ on T-mobile does have a customer Motoblur IU.

As far as Motorola versus HTC quality. I have always had good luck with Motorola phones and I think the build quality of my Droid is excellent. I am only going on personal experience. I am sure you will find people with different opinions on both companies.

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

The Nexus one looks sweet. I'd definitely pick one up if it were subsidized for ATT.

Also, I love how my iPhone integrates with my mac and mobileme so well. While the Nexus One will integrate with everything google (and i have google accounts) my iPhone pushes calendars, contacts, and even syncs my safari bookmarks. iTunes integration is also great. I think Apple has just roped me in and I don't see how I could change given how seamlessly everything works together for me right now even though I like the android platform.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That's what was confusing to me. I read about the Nexus running Android 2.1, but I also read that the Droid was getting the same update shortly. I've also read that the HTC Hero will be getting 2.1 at some point. I'm personally holding out for that update, since the Hero is the only Android model my carrier offers right now.

9. lefooey macrumors member

I'd have to be one of those dissenting opinions, then. While I was always pleased with the initial quality of Motorola phones, they never survived to the end of my 2-year contract with all of their hinges, buttons and/or functionality intact. I've had an original analog StarTAC, a T72x and two RAZR V3 series phones.

The hinges on the Droid seem cheap and similar in fit to my T72x. I expect they work well for the first 6-9 months and then become loose and ill fitting.

As for HTC I don't have a lot of observation other than my friend's G1 makes a terrible creaking noise now when you interact with the screen.

My iPhone 2G lasted my entire contract without mishap and was dropped several times on hard surfaces. It was dropped in November on a tile surface while it was out of its case and finally dozens of drops later the dock malfunctioned. It was repairable, but I used it as an excuse to upgrade to the 3GS.

10. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

This is what I was worried about too (iTunes integration). However, I hardly ever use my iPhone as a music player now, instead using my iPod video. So while I'll miss that feature, I don't think I needed it in the first place.