Thinking about switching to AT&T with the iPhone. Any advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Black Magic, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

So I'm thinking about switching over to AT&T. Any advice or tips you can provide? Any gotchas to watch out for? Any discounts available?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I love AT&T and I don't understand why they get bashed so much. But I guess it all depends on coverage. I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data so I can't comment on data plans.

But this whole AT&T is evil thing is just silly. If they have good coverage in your area, go for it.

3. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

They resolved the whole FaceTime over cellular stuff correct?

4. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

I started off with Cingular(haha good ol days) - Great service, great coverage, no dropped calls
    Then I tried out Verizon for awhile(RaZR Phone) - Decent service, great coverage, no dropped calls
    Then I was AT&T for a few years and their service was terrible, but the coverage and pricing was good!

Then I went to Sprint for like 3 years. Holy sh8t their service is terrible and their coverage is even worse!!!! I have had nothing but bad experiences with them. I'm a moron for even subscribing with them again, had to pay an ETF to GTFO. Their pricing is the only good thing.

Now with ATT again for a few months and I LOVE it. I ihave reception EVERYWHERE!!! Pricing kind of sucks, even with my corporate discount.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Same here. Well, "love" may be a strong word, but I have few complaints and have gotten good customer service from them. My iPhones in their AT&T configurations have traveled well to Europe and Asia, too.

There is a lack of coverage out in the boonies, and that's where Verizon shines. But it's rare I have lack of bars, and meanwhile the ability to access data services while on a voice call is priceless for me.

6. sjperformance macrumors 6502

Left sprint after 12 years. 1 month ago I ported 3 lines to at&t. Best decision I could've made. Amazing data LTE speeds. Constant. Now I can really enjoy my iphone 5s. From the 6GB data plan we signed up for we only used 4GB our first month. Mind you this was with heavy data usage as we normally did on sprint. Totally satisfied and glad we made the switch.

7. westgorge macrumors newbie

AT&T vs Verizon

My experience is that, after years with Verizon and then switched over to AT&T when the first iPhone came out, (and I've been with AT&T ever since) is that Verizon has, by far, the best coverage for the areas that I travel in. So, after my contract with AT&T is up next year, I'm switching back. Nothing against AT&T as a company.....they've been great. But, for the money I'm paying them each month/year, coverage is king.

8. westgorge macrumors newbie

I agree with your experience with Sprint. I bought a mifi device a few years ago through Sprint. Needed it for a trip to California. Then found out that there was no 4G coverage (anywhere!!) in CA at the time. And, then, everywhere else I travelled, either no coverage or lousy coverage. I paid the ETF just to rid myself of frustration. And, when I tried to (nicely) complain to Sprint, they treated me like I wasn't worth anything to them anyway. Years from now (probably after I'm dead and gone), none of this will be an issue. Everyone will have great coverage and we'll talk about lousy coverage and service like we did when we had rotary dial phones and it cost a fortune to call someone even 20 miles away. But, for now, everything is so expensive that my customer experience better be top notch.

9. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I have been with AT&T since 2009, and I really have no complaints. If anything, my service has improved. Their LTE is super fast and I get a good signal all of the places I travel.

10. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Advice: If you want to have service, use Verizon

11. Daria macrumors regular

Daria

Consumer Cellular is a no-contract carrier who uses AT&T lines, but it's a separate, very customer friendly company. I've been with them for about 10 years and have had great service from them. You just choose whatever plan you want, and they will even send a notice if you're about to go over. That way you can bump up the plan to the next level. You can change this any time online within your monthly service dates.

They have some of the highest customer service ratings in the industry, and if you live in an area where AT&T has better coverage than Verizon, then it'd be well worth your time to check it out. Just sayin'.

PS. They don't have the SE yet, as they have to hear from Apple. I think last time a new phone was introduced, it took 2-3 weeks. I'm getting the SE as soon as they have it, bec. they have the no interest deal for the device and I think the SE will probably be $50 up front plus the monthly amount. Yay!