Thinking about taking my MBP to the Genius Bar, but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fel10, Jan 18, 2012.

1. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Right now I'm using a SSD that I bought, and I wanna know if before I take to the Genius bar, do I have to put the HD that came with the MBP back,or can I just take it with my SSD in it?

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You can take it with the SSD in it, but if they need to send it out for repair, you will want to swap to the OEM drive to insure that your SSD remains yours. Might want to take the OEM drive with you, just in case it turns out to be related to the SSD.

In the past when I have had issues, I took it in as is. When they informed me it was going to have to go to Depot, I stated I would have to bring it back after I swapped the RAM and drive. They were fine with that, noted my account, and told me just to drop it off when I returned and they would send it out.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It depends on the reason you are taking it in. If the problem you are having could be blamed on the drive, then take it out first. I went in with a failing battery in my Macbook which had a Seagate hybrid drive and 8GB of RAM (where Apple only officially supports 4) and was never even questioned.

4. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

----------

I'm taking it in because the fans keep going up to 3000-3900rpm when the temperature is only in the 60's. And I'm only doing simple tasks, like using the App Store, or using Safari. I already tried a clean install of Lion, checked the Activity Monitor, but nothing seems to work. I also tried resetting PRAM, but that didn't work either. So I don't know what else to do.

----------

I also thought about using SMCFanControl, but I heard that can be harmful to the computer.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy