Thinking about the 30" ACD anyone here love theirs??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjahshik32, Apr 10, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Should I take the plunge, I love the idea of opening 2 webpages side by side while having extra room on the right side for applications/windows and other stuff.

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

If you have the money to spare, I can't imagine a better computer investment.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I would be selling my 23" acd which I love to death...

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I've never heard any complaints about the 30" ACD, never heard of anyone who took the plunge and later regretted it. I think once you go 30", you never go back.

5. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Excellent Monitor.

Love it.

Also have an HP LP3065 -- love it also.

6. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Nice monitors, but if you're prepared to wait 5 or 10 years Apple might have new models out.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

remember that a 30" screen has a 2560 x 1600 resolution which is grater than 1080 HD so movies at full screen may looked stretched or blocky.

also if your desk isnt big enough you might find yourself moving your head which could lead to neck problems. make sure you have a good chair and a deep desk.

if these thigns dont apply or dont bother you then go for it! having 30" of screen real estate would be insane!

8. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I already know what to expect.. but I remember I owned the 30" ACD last year but I returned it because I thought it was too big at that time..

But now major multitasking on my mac pro... I could use that screen size. The apple cinema display 30" I bought last year was very nice with no stuck/dead pixels, BUT one problem I do remember was that the right side was a bit brighter than the left side of the screen...

Anyone else having this problem?? If this issue was fixed then I'd go ahead and get one tomorrow. The problem is that the right side or I forgot the left side, whichever side was a bit brighter than the other, could anyone else verify this?? and if so did you guys purchase the 30" recently??

9. DreamRaj macrumors newbie

LOL. good one !! LOL

I've been waiting sooo long for new ACDs. Will buy a 30"ACD the day they're introduced, along with a new MPB 17".

10. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

No!! Dont do it!! Dont buy the MPB (Mac Pook Bro) at 17" inches!! Its a fake!! :eek:

11. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

All my monitors have some uneven brightness, FYI.

I never worry about it as I tend to use the center part of screen for color critical works.

12. ceehjayem macrumors regular

I had one about a year ago and absolutely loved it. I had to sell it due to unexpected circumstances but I would love to have another one. When I get a Mac Pro next year, I'll opt for the 30".

13. ParishM macrumors regular

ParishM

the Dell 3008 is 10 times better than the ACD !!!

14. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

And less expensive, I presume?

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If your gaming yes. If your doing any colour critical work, it sucks.

And it costs more.

17. Hmac macrumors 68020

18. bozs13 macrumors regular

hey dood
    I hate you
    just fyi :)

I'd buy a 30 inch ACD in a second if I had the doughflow

19. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Have you given consideration to adding a second 23" display?

At work, I use dual 24" displays with my HP octo-Workstation and it is very convenient because I can leave "static" windows (e-mail, network status) on the right-hand display and use the left-hand one for "real time" work.

20. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I don't have one but want a 30 inch ACD also but waiting for Apple to release the new ones before I buy, the current ACD been out for 4yrs and it needs to be updated but if Apple doesn't upgrade the ACD soon that Dell 3008WFP looks very very tempting.

21. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

After three years, we're still in love...

Every moment in front my 30" ACD is a dream. I absolutely love that monitor. My family even makes fun of how protective I am of it. I freak if anyone even acts like they might be thinking of touching the screen. Touching a computer monitor is one of my pet peeves and having the ACD only amplified it...

22. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I agree that Apple's displays look very good, the only thing I can't understand is why after all this time they never introduced a model with a built in webcam.
    That would be nice.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I work on one at work, and it's amazing. I have never seen anything brighter, until I got my 17" MBP hi res... it's not brighter unless it's right there in my face!

I would love to have a 30" at my home by my desk isn't deep enough. I am trying to get a 23" and either keep my 20" or sell it with the PowerMac tower and grab a Mac Pro with another 23".

The 30" Dell is actually the only professional quality monitor you can find in their lineup IMHO. The 24" is on par with the 23" but the casing is terrible. If you want to save $300 or less, go for the Dell, you probably won't be disappointed. But since you say that you had an Apple 30" and now have a 23" I bet you will go for the 30" ACD....

How much you selling your 23" for.

p.s. Yes, go for the 30", I love it at work with all my heart.

24. shokunin macrumors regular

Although the ACD 30" is nice, I'm leaning towards the new NEC LCD3090WQXi 30" monitor with their calibration eye and software. it still lacks as many inputs as the Dell 3008 but at least it's HDCP compliant as well as dual DVI connectors for two setups.

I'd hate to invest in an ACD 30" now, and if some point in the future you wanted to watch HD DRM/HDCP content, and not being able to due to the current non compliant ACD.

I suspect when they add on a blu-ray option is when the ACD will be appropriately updated.

25. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

There's one major problem thats plagued the Apple 30" for many years. The thread has been locked because of it. Nobody knows how to fix it. Not even Apple. Applecare just tell people to reinstall OS X. It doesn't solve it. Nothing solves it, not even replacements.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=221104&start=0&tstart=30

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7025127

http://kupuk.com/2008/03/06/spurious-green-and-blue-pixels-from-mac-pro/

Green and blue dancing pixels so many has named it, but its actually DVI Noise.