Thinking about the Edition, but questions on color

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WolfSnap, Sep 13, 2017.

?

What Apple Series 3 Edition watch should I get?

1. White!

45.2%
  2. Grey. It'll look obviously different than the grey aluminum watch.

12.9%
  3. Grey. But, no one will ever know it's the ceramic version...

12.9%
  4. Stop wasting money on stupid watches. Just buy the SS or aluminum version. No one cares.

29.0%
  1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

I'm thinking of treating myself to one of the ceramic edition watches. I like both the white and grey ones, but, I'm worried (yes, it's a stupid worry..) that the grey will look identical to the grey aluminum watch.

If I'm going to spend $1350 on a watch, I at least want people to know it's expensive...

Soooo... Do you think the grey ceramic will look different enough from the aluminum that it's visually obvious that it's the expensive edition version? Or, should I go with the white one?

Please don't complain that this is a stupid worry -- it is, and I accept it. But, I do real estate sales for a living. Presenting myself as successful by driving the fancy cars, etc. sells my brand.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I completely see your point. And there is nothing wrong with your rationality. After comparing side-by-side of the space gray sport and grey ceramic Edition, I feel they resemble each other too close to differentiate by seeing them based off the pictures. It could look slightly different in person, but I don't believe it will be drastic enough, as they resemble each other fairly close.

I Actually never preferred the white ceramic, but after seeing it more and more, I would consider it, because it does have that white stark look to it.

Otherwise, there is the Hermes stainless you could consider also, which has a nice leather band for a similar price point.

3. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

If you're going to go ceramic, go for the white one. The grey one looks too much like a shiny version of the space grey aluminium version (and I dare say a little bland).

Personally, I would go with what @Relentless Power mentioned which would be an Hermes stainless steel version. That beautiful shiny steel with Hermes leather is better looking and luxurious in my opinion than the ceramic.

If you're more convinced about getting ceramic, I'd personally go with white ceramic and get an Hermes band with it. Would look great + anyone that knows the Apple Watch lineup will know you've went all in for both case and band!

Hope that helps!

4. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

I have actually looked at the Hermes watch.. But, I'd like to use the watch for other than just showing off (i.e. swimming, etc..). And, I have a general dislike of leather watch bands (even really beautiful ones like the Hermes). But, I do actually really like the Hermes watch faces.. Too bad the leather bands don't have some sort of secret code you enter/NFC embedded in the band that "turns on" the watch faces.. A ceramic white Hermes faced/banded watch would be amazing! LOL
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    I actually was admiring the white ceramic Series 2 watch when I was last at Apple. It's *really* nice looking. I'm leaning more and more to the white one..

I appreciate the input though; kinda confirms my own thinking that the grey isn't differentiated enough...

5. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

If that's your motivation, even an Apple Watch made out of platinum and unicorn teeth isn't going to achieve what you want.

Visit your local high end jewellers and buy something understated and Swiss.

6. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Your point isn't stupid, I agree that the Space Gray Edition is either a duller Space Black or a shiny Space Gray Sport, I understand that the materials are better but when it looks the same what's the point?

7. jschu22 macrumors regular

I think it will look similar to another Apple Watch, but not the one you mention. It will resemble the Space Black SS one but not the Space Grey aluminum- the texture of the aluminum will set it apart from the smoothness and gloss of the ceramic.

8. the future macrumors 65816

It looks like a space grey stainless steel Watch, similar to the sides of the space grey iPhone X. The white ceramic is way more unique.

9. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

But it's not a deep rich black like the Space Black, it's lighter—almost like Jet Black vs Black on the iPhone 7

@the future I agree, it's different, but it's way too similar to other watch models―nothing else is similar to the white Edition

10. jschu22 macrumors regular

See, you're doing the same thing- Comparing two very different textures. Even if the same color, different textures can appear to be very different from each other. Now in the case of the SS and ceramic, the textures are practically identical so it takes a noticeable variation in color to be... well, noticeably different.

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

OP, your point is not stupid or vain at all. I would be asking the same thing! I suspect it will look too similar to the aluminum. Perhaps we’ll know more once we can see them in stores, but I wish there was a better way for you to tell now so you can order late tonight!

12. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

I had the ceramic series 2 but changed it and went back to a SS. The ceramic was great but it didn't look like a £1300 watch and it didn't look business like. I am so tempted to give it another go and get the white Ceramic 3 as i don't really like the grey but its more than twice the price of the Black SS 3.

13. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I’m in the same debate. I don’t care so much about it looking the same as something else. Don’t care so much about it standing out that I bought the ceramic. The opposite actually. What appeals to me is the scratch resistance. My SS S0 looks a bit on the dull side and has a lot of scratches. Being stainless, I’m sure I could take it somewhere and have it polished.

So the main things drawing me to (probably) the gray ceramic is the scratch resistance of the case versus both the aluminum and stainless variants as well as the scratch resistance of the sapphire versus the ion x. Maybe my fears are unfounded. Someone save me $900 and tell me the $430 space grey aluminum won’t get scratched up like my SS S0 with Milanese loop did.

And to the OP, nothing wrong with wanting to “look the part”. My wife is a successful attorney and I totally get the concept of looking like you have money to make money. I wanted to buy a Fusion and she wanted me to get a Lincoln in case she ever had to drive my car (which she has a few times.) Didn’t have to twist my arm very hard but you get the point...

14. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

See it in person then decide. Some of Apple's materials are deceiving in photos and even certain lighting. Space black is a prime example.

My first reaction to the grey ceramic is that it looks bland and won't stand out from the aluminum, but knowing Apple, I'm probably wrong.

15. playaproved macrumors 6502

I want the Ceramic Grey, but I'm waiting to see it in person before pulling the trigger. I wanted the white last gen, but decided I wouldn't want to wear a white watch every day.

If I don't like the grey in person, then I may have to just get another space black stainless.

16. ScottC7 macrumors regular

ScottC7

I have the Series 2 Ceramic and have mixed feelings on it. I love the material - the ceramic is so nice - and it's been so durable. Admittedly, I'm extremely careful with my Apple tech, but this watch looks like I pulled it out of the box an hour ago. I love that about it. I also agree it's a very distinctive watch, and there is no mistaking it as the "high-end" Apple Watch.

That said, after wearing it about 8 months, the same thing happened to me that has happened every time I get a white iPhone or iPad...I grew tired of the white. For me, it just doesn't hold its allure and it starts to look like a fad color that doesn't look timeless (to me). Consequently, I knew I'd be upgrading to a Series 3 months ago and had pretty much settled on the Space Black SS. But now there is the Gray Ceramic to consider, and I'm torn.

OP, I mention all this just in case you happen to be in the same camp. The white ceramic is beautiful and as long as you don't think you will grow tired of a white watch, I'm sure you'll love it.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Have observed the white ceramic watch a few times now, and it stands out much nicer in person than pictures show. It definitely has more of an eye-catching color.