Thinking about the iPod Hi-Fi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by supercooled, Mar 18, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Remember those relics? I saw a classified for one, brand new in box and wondered if these would be a nice addition to the television set. I don't have a lot of room for a proper sound system but these would probably be better than the stock speakers on my TV. Can these be rigged up to my LCD TV which is all connected via HDMI to my AppleTV, X360/PS3.

Thanks

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've got one sitting on top of my fridge connected with AirTunes via an Airport Express; it's no relic. ;)

The only audio input it has, apart from the iPod dock on the top, is a line-in stereo mini-jack on the back, the same size (3.5mm) as a headphone mini-jack on an MP3 player for instance.

The signal needed is equivalent to an aux out from an amplifier or something similar. Depending on the outputs on your TV, a simple adapter lead would probably do the trick.

3. hotinplaya macrumors member

How much do they want for it??

I have been looking on ebay and they are selling for more than when they were new

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Limited supply now, they're not being made any more so prices will stay high... I'm still slightly peeved that Apple didn't reduce their price to sell off stock, they were basically removed from the shelves within days. I would have bought a second one if I'd known; some people don't like them, but I do.

5. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have read sparse reports that say the Bose SoundDock sound better than the Hi-Fi; what are your thoughts and please be objective as possible. The seller wants $300.

Anyway, the fact that they are not being made anymore is what appeals to me. Relic or not, it is very cool and I love Apple design but no kidding man, for $300 I could get some killer speakers.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Utterly objective? And I've demoed the SoundDock in store a couple of times... there is no comparison at all, especially when cranked up. The SoundDock sounds like a toy in comparison and certainly wouldn't cut the mustard in a large room.

You've got to look at the physics of it. One a solid and ported cabinet, the other not... however, its bass response means that it needs air and space around it. Too close to a wall or the floor means your neighbours could get annoyed.

However, you're not going to get a lot of separation (stereo effect) from it. If that's a priority, look for separate cabinets instead.

7. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your info, Blue Velvet. I decided to buy it but I'm of two minds about it. I paid $270 for it and although it sounds decent, it's about on par with my desktop speakers, the Logitech z680. The only thing is that I find the sound a little muffled if it's too low. It's currently serving as my "sound system" for my Xbox360, PS3 and AppleTV. It looks great though; I just don't know if it's worth the price I paid for it.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I've actually been thinking lately of trading in my Sounddock for a Hi-Fi for a couple reasons. Mainly space. Right now I have computer speakers hooked up to my MBP as well as an iPod dock, the Hi-Fi can do both.

That being said I've been very happy with my Sounddock. I'm not an audiophile by any measure but to me the SD is clear and since I don't play it that loud I don't have any of the problems people complain of.

9. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

It will fit in any decor! That has to account for something. had considered the SoundDock myself because much like yourself, I don't all the hang ups of an audiophile. I think the HiFi at a few feet sound amazing; space wise it would be a step backwards for you to use it as desktop speakers though because it has a considerable footprint compared to small satellites.

10. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

I used an ipod hifi connected to me mbp for a year, and it's great. Room-filling sound and great bass, not too deep, not too weak. Would be great as a centre speaker on a home hifi setup, or as a tv speaker.