Thinking about trading in my MBP for something less noisy..and hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chewie100, Dec 9, 2011.

1. chewie100 macrumors newbie

So i've just about had it with this thing, (I have a late 2008, 2.4GHZ, 4Gb RAM MBP) 4 months ago, the fans started blowing at full speed whenever anything slightly CPU intensive started up.
    It looks like one of the heat sensors in the heat sink has gone, I am anticipating an expensive repair bill (it's way outside the warranty) so I am now considering selling it for as much as possible, and getting a new portable machine, preferably something with an i5 or i7 processor, I wouldn't even mind if it was a 13" MBP.
    So, two questions; 1 - what's the maximum I would get for my current machine? 2 - Which MBP is the best value for money in your opinion?

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

On a MBP that old have you tried cleaning the inside and fans, as it can make a world of difference? I would try that first, unless you just want the new MBP.

3. visim91 macrumors 6502

Sometimes excess dust clogging up the fan & internals can be a culprit for such obnoxious noise.
    I recently had my Mac cleaned out after the display was replaced. It used to roar. Now, it purrs.

4. happle macrumors 6502a

also if your up to the task i bet reapplying your thermal paste in conjunction with cleaning out the fans/case would do you wonders.

my brand new macbook is currently importing CD's, browsing, and listening to music at 108F @ 1998 RPM. this thing runs cool. idle temps are lower than my c2d macbook thats for sure.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here ya go:
    [​IMG]
    :D

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Funny.

OP: What processes are you running?

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I would rather put up with the fan noise. The constant clacking would drive me batty!

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

@chewie100

The new MBPs and MBAs are even hotter and sometimes noisier.

Buy an iPad, they have no fans and stay relatively cool as far as I know. Or buy what GJJstudios suggested.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

i've got an mbp 13". it is by far the best deal (dollar for dollar). but, you have fewer options than you get with the 15 and 17". the 15" is an impressive machine, with a better display, and more cores. it's hard to go wrong with it if you are doing a lot of processor intensive work.

personally, though, if it were me i would wait for the ivy bridge processor in the spring. it is possible they'll be able to reduce the heat issues (some people complain) and maybe even give you a new design for the case.

10. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I have to agree with this completely. I love my MBP 15, but it does get warmer than I am used to (though I don't consider it noisy). If there is even a slight chance that the next rev will run cooler, I would wait to see.

Like others have suggested, try cleaning it out - and see if you could hold out for a little while longer...

11. chewie100 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I haven't tried cleaning it yet, but what you say gives me hope that there is a less dramatic (and expensive) solution than buying a new machine. I'm not prepared to try taking it apart myself though, i'd rather pay a pro to do it, then at least if something goes wrong, there will be some recourse.

12. mark28 macrumors 68000

2010 MBP 15"/17" - 32 nm Dual cores
    2012 MBP 15"/17" - 22 nm Quad cores.

The others will have higher temperatures.