Thinking about trying something most people would call crazy.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by east85, Aug 24, 2012.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I have been thinking about this for some time and I'm relatively young. I've always wanted to give it a go. There are a ton of free camping sites and pay sites in beautiful places for as little as 10 a night or 300 a month. I'd have at least some internet connection usually due to expanding cellular networks and hotspot technology when I need it. I run small business with little overhead and it's been quite profitable for me. It just requires I have access to a post office, most of the items are purchased used from craigslist. I've been averaging about 2,000 USD a month, which would cover lodging, gas and food easy. I don't really have to tend to it unless I run low on money since I use another site for sales. I only say that since not all areas are going to have easy access to a post office or the internet.

I wouldn't be able to afford an RV, but I'm thinking a conversion van with a bed in it would work, along with a tent and essentials of course. I've always wanted to travel, write and be nomadic at least for some period of time to try it out, rubber tramping as some people call it. I'm sure some of you will think that's crazy but I'm the kind of person that really doesn't like to see the same thing every single day. I've always been really into traveling, the outdoors and whatnot (I'm going with friends to PA tomorrow to kayak). I did get out of a pretty lengthy relationship a year ago and I'm not really tied down with family (I don't have kids, etc) so I think now would be a better time than any. I can afford to take some time away from college and return. I'd like to use the time to reflect, write and generally find new experiences.

I've lived a minimalist lifestyle over the past year and have parsed my belongings down to pretty essential stuff in an attempt to disconnect consumerism and self worth. I put more pride in my intellectual capacity and ability to take care of my body. The few belongings I do have I make the most out of. I managed to learn how to live out of a bag in boot camp while still keeping everything organized. Most of these camp sites have places to shower and running water. I think it's a pretty feasible idea. I have a substantial sum of money saved should anything go wrong. Any thoughts?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree....you are crazy.:p

Seriously, though, if it makes you happy then go for it. It certainly isn't my cup of tea.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I lived with my girlfriend out of a 4WD for a year. Best time of my life.

The first few days are amazing because everything's new, and the following weeks are hard, but after that, you'll get used to it, and enjoy every bit of your time on the road.

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

A few of my friends are heading over to Australia. Other than their backpack, their longboards and some cash, they have nothing there. They'll spend 9 months in a country they don't know, speaking a language they are not perfectly fluent at (they're francophones).

So yeah, I think your thing is doable. It's better to do this while you're young than regret not doing it later.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Id say go for it. Even if not right now, you could always save up some money (maybe you have) and not have to worry as much about the business side of things. It sounds like a great adventure.

And you should update us with some posts if you do decide to do it!

7. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Sounds like the perfect way to explore the west coast of north America.

8. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I knew a close friend who did something like this.

Met him in my freshman year of college, 3 years ago. He was a really talented guy with many dreams. He also had a girlfriend. Up until last year, their relationship ended, and it caused many complications. She moved on to a guy in the military, while he decided to do some self-reflection. That was when he packed his bags and decided to go travel a bit. Just a backpack- no car, phone, or money.

Luckily he was with a friend, too. They hitchhiked together all the way from Seattle to somewhere near LA. And even came back. But after he got back, he wasn't going back to college. He decided it wasn't his thing and felt he was destined to start real estate. He's been jumping around from state to state, and I haven't heard much of him since.

I can only hope he's doing alright, despite the hardships he's faced the past few years. So thinking of your idea, it sounds like an amazing thing. But keep in mind that sometimes self-reflection can take your life down totally different paths. Hopefully they are good ones. Be safe, and stay strong. Don't lose sight of your dreams and passions, because you might regret not doing something later in life.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Who cares if anybody thinks it's crazy. As long as one is not doing something that effects or harms others...******'em if they can't take a joke. :D

10. jaysen macrumors 6502

Interesting idea, as the poster above stated - don't lose sight of your goals/dream.

Good luck should you decide

11. AhmedFaisal Guest

Why the hell not. I wish I had done it when I have the chance. Now I am working my ass off to get debt free so wife and I can do it with the kiddies once we have them. I say go for it.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Have you ever heard of Peter Jenkins or read his book A Walk Across America? What you are talking about doing reminds me of him and his journey of discovery.

Here's a blurb from Amazon:

Wikipedia has the following about him:
    If you want to do this then now is definitely the time as you don't seem to have anything (family or work) keeping you from being able to take the kind of risks involved with the traveling lifestyle.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Go for it. Sounds like you can handle it and like you'll enjoy it. Why not?

14. sigamy macrumors 65816

Go for it while you are young and still can!

Just watch/read "Into the Wild" and 127 Hours first :cool:

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

16. 'Bmac macrumors regular

Life is WAAAAAAAAY too short! Just do it! Best of luck to you on your endevers! :)

17. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Do it!

A Walk Across America is a fantastic book.

In November I'm giving up my house and moving into my work truck full-time for a few years. Having lived on the road for a few years already, I'm already familiar with the issues you have without a "real" home.

If you are pretty good at solving problems by yourself, then you'll gain some good stories as you learn to adjust to this new lifestyle. If you aren't a good problem solver, then you likely won't last too long.