Thinking about turning my busted PowerMac G4 into....

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mark10197, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mark10197 macrumors member

Ok,
    So a couple of days ago I came across an old dell dimension 2400 with an intel P4 2.8ghz (northwood)for free. I really didn't need it but it had 1.5gb of ram and a 320gb hd so my intention was to strip it for parts. But then I had the brilliant idea of running OSx86 on it. (allready downloaded it). Recently my good ol powermac g4 400mhz agp graphics died. (god bless it's poor soul).
    I was wondering If it would be a good idea to take the mobo from the dell and put it in the powermac.
    I am very good with a dremmle tool and have exceptional soldering skills.
    The only problem is I cant find a ATA cable that is long and I have to use the dell power supply so I have tinker with some stuff. I need to take a trip down to the local computer surplus store andd see if the stuff I need.

2. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

That's really neat. Good idea. i do crazy things like that too just for fun. however, if you want to keep that ol powermac running you can purchase a graphics card of of ebay or something. a question would be: if you do take out the mobo from the pm g4 what will you do with it?