Thinking about upgrading hard drive in aluminum macbook....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nasty Roo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Nasty Roo macrumors member

I'd like to install a SSD drive in my alum macbook, is this feasible?

How tough of an operation would it be?

What would be the best SSD hard drive for the job?

Thanks in advance for the replies

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

If you know how to use a screwdriver it will take about 5 minutes to put the new drive in.

3. LouiTheFish macrumors newbie

Totally feasible

It's absolutely feasible to do this. See the above posts with links. It's just going to cost more but could be well worth it in the end. The good news about the aluminum MacBook and MBPs is that the hard drive is super easy to access.

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

It is very easy to do and I have done this with my MacBook Aluminum using an SSD I bought on eBay. Works like a dream. It will take about 5 minutes to do, as someone has posted.

You only need a single thin philips screwdriver as well as a torx one in order to get the brackets off the original and put them on the new HD. If you are lucky you can probably get both as part of a repair kit at the dollar store (not the best quality, but will do if you only use it a few times in your life).

The risk is absolutely minimal as you can expose the HD by removing the battery door - it will be just right there. It is also isolated from all other components so there is virtually no chance to damage anything while doing this. You don't have to be a computer genius or whatever to do this.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't even need a torx; you can use a small flathead.