thinking about upgrading to lion.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pwalsh1051, Sep 12, 2011.

1. pwalsh1051 macrumors newbie

i was wondering if anyone could point out the pros and cons of doing a fresh install of SL then downloading lion vs fresh install of lion (making a boot device and loading it that way) and finally just downloading lion and installing on my mac as it is now. any input would be awesome. thanks in advance.

2. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

it's all about preference doesn't really matter which one you do.

if you think your mbp is slower down, just do a fresh install. actually if you don't need your documents or anything just do a fresh install.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If it were me I would do the clean install of Lion and skip the installing Snow Leopard. Make sure you do a backup first before doing the clean install. I also manually restore user data and manually re-install applications instead of doing automatic migration of data.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Just wondering what Mac you are using?

There seems to be quite a few glitches in Lion (especially for the MBP) so I would recommend holding off the upgrade until 10.7.2 comes out to see if it works out some of them.

If you do install, skip all the "fresh" install of SL nonsense and just install Lion after you've backed up your files.

5. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

IMO, 10.7.2 didn't fix enough to make it worth using...

6. kazakh macrumors member

I am a supporter of fresh installs all the time.

Just makes me feel better when the computer starts being slow later. At least I don't blame myself for not doing a fresh install, lol.

Otherwise, I would just say "oh, should've done a clean install" blah blah ...

7. pwalsh1051 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i can forsure see myself doing that eventually.

but the main thing i am worried about is support for cloud once it comes out. i read somewhere it wont run on SL or something, if thats not true i will stick with SL untill lion is all fixed up.

and for those wondering i am running a 13" MBP 2.3GHz 4gb ram

8. drambuie macrumors 6502a

9. pwalsh1051 thread starter macrumors newbie

well thats kind of a relief for the time being. id love to wait untill lion is fixed up a little bit more before purchase. thanks for the feedback and i guess we have to wait and be patient

10. heisenberg123, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not to thead hijack but i recently purchased a i7 quad core 2.0 with 4GB of ram and it came with a free lion upgrade, are people suggesting its not any good or just not worth buying till they fix some bugs? Oh and it says I have 30 days to apply for the free update so it's not like I can just wait forever to use it

11. XandeR803 macrumors member

AFAIK you have 30 days to redeem the code in iTunes. Once it's tied to your account, you can wait as long as you'd like to actually install it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yes that's correct. You just have to go into the App Store and redeem it. You can download it and install it whenever you want. But as I and others have said, if there's no need to use Lion yet, then you might want to wait before installing it.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Thanks for the replies