Thinking about upgrading to Mavericks, need advice

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by carbonmotion, Dec 24, 2013.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Hi All-

I'm thinking about upgrading to Mavericks and I was wondering if you can help me answer the following Q.

1) Is the upgrade worthwhile now that the first patches for the OS is out?
    2) If I download the new version of iWorks from MAS, can I still keep my older versions (CD) installed?
    3) Will upgrading to Mavericks mess up or replace the host files I edited in Mountain Lion?

Thanks all!

Also, Merry Xmas and Happy NY!

2. ultraspiracle macrumors member

In my experience it was a great upgrade from ML.

It "should" prompt you to update your old iWork apps - I believe you can run the versions side by side, but I didn't - I replaced them. Can someone else help here?

Which host files are you referring to?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It moves the old versions to a folder and they are still usable along side the new version.

4. ultraspiracle macrumors member

Thanks Weaselboy - that was a question that I was also curious about.

5. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Dont do it mavericks is full of nasty bugs that will make your life and computer experience miserable wait until 10.9.5 its the new apple policy wait for the fifth release until you can use the os started from lion

6. Bear macrumors G3

It all depends on what you use your Mac for. while some people have no issues with Mavericks, others are running in to issues. You need to make sure all your software and third party hardware is supported before you upgrade. Some of the people running in to real issues are people who upgraded and finding out their software and/or hardware they need to use doesn't work under Mavericks yet.

7. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

Since you've waited this long, I'd recommend that you wait until 10.9.2 and see how that turns out. The developer release of 10.9.2 has fixed all my issues.

8. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I think Mavericks is a great update from ML.

The only issue I have with Mavericks, is that the 3 finger swipe to go back/forward in a Finder window no longer works.

Whether this feature has been removed by Apple or its a bug, then I'm unsure. But there is a workaround for to get the 3 finger swipe to work again. You can install Better Touch Tools and setup the 3 finger swipe in there, that's what I've done and it works fine.

9. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Well I just upgraded from ML, and I wished I never have. I have a few issues with my Time Machine and my Apple TV Movie Drive always ejecting and giving me a error that I improperly ejected my Hard Drives whenever I put it to sleep or it goes to sleep altogether. I never had that problem with Mt Lion. Also there are smaller issues with some links in Safari not being clickable. I always have to copy and paste the link if I want to go to that link. It seems to lag somewhat too. I have the highest model iMac in 2012 fully loaded and my system slowed down. I wanted to wait to install until 10.9.1 was out which I did but now I wished I would have waited for 10.9.2. If 10.9.2 does not fix these issues. I will go back to Mt Lion for sure. The only plus side for that I can see is that since I use 3 monitors on my system counting my iMac, I like the fact that there is a dock on each monitor, Menu bar on each monitor and that I can go full screen on 90% of the programs out there and not affect the other screens. Some games still don't allow that and blank out the other 2 monitors when you do the full screen on the iMac. :rolleyes:

----------

Do you have any idea when 10.9.2 will be released?

10. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

No one knows but Apple. Likely by March, I'm hoping for next month. But that's just a WAG.

11. satcomer, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I originally upgraded to Mavericks but later did a fresh install because of all the hacks I did in 10.8.x. Later then I just used /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app to move Pictures, Music, Movies, and Shareware(that needed to be upgraded), etc, from a backup clone I use. This seem to clear up a lot of headaches I was having on My 2008 Mac Pro.