Thinking about upgrading! What should I do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acrophobiax, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Acrophobiax macrumors member

Acrophobiax

I have an iPhone 6, I am not a person who upgrades every year. I am finally thinking about going from the 6 to the 8 any thoughts on what I should do?

2. avtella macrumors regular

You can either pay like $85 and get the battery replaced or get the iPhone 8 if you feel the 6 is not good enough for you anymore. It’s more about what you feel you need. I did convince a close friend to not upgrade from the 6 mainly because he was satisfied with it and just needed a battery replacement. Especially T-Mobile users are better off waiting in my opinion for 600Mhz support in next years iPhone which should solve the terrible indoor signal issue on that network. Also hopefully by then Intel will have caught up technology wise so Apple doesn’t have to gimp QCA modems to equalize models and can have much better signal, not that’s it’s too bad now. Hardware wise the 8 is a pretty decent upgrade though.

3. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

It’s a pretty big upgrade going from a 6 to an 8. If you can afford it, I would without a doubt upgrade. The 6 will be nearing its end of life in a year or two, while the 8 will be supported to 4-5 more years to come. The A11 chip is so far beyond any moble processor, it won’t have any issues for a long time.

4. titrau macrumors 65816

titrau

Good idea

1/ 8 is pefect phone now
    2/ X is long wait till 2018
    3/ monthly payment is good choice

ready and place

5. Acrophobiax thread starter macrumors member

Acrophobiax

Yes I was thinking about doing an Equipment Installment Plan with T-Mobile. For me the iPhone 8 64GB is 267.99 (Downpayment) and $18 per month.

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

As for #2, you have no idea. Stop spreading unsubstantiated FUD.

7. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

I know supply will be fairly limited (mostly if you’re slow to pre order to have by opening weekend) but I don’t think it’ll be as bad as media and people are making it out to be.

Here was an article not long ago that Apple would have around 12 million or so units ready for launch.

Most iPhones have not exceeded that for launch weekend. AECECAD5-82E5-431B-8350-4664CFA4ABA4.jpeg

Not sure how the 7/7+ fared on opening weekend. But as the numbers show. All or most people (all, maybe because others have opted to get the 8/8+ instead) who pre order should have a relatively easy time getting an iPhone 10. Outside of opening weekend though will probably be a different story for a little while.

8. Relentless Power, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The difference between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 8 is substantial in terms of almost every aspect. Form factor wise, obviously they resemble each other. But where it really matters the most aside from the other features and capabilities, is the power and Ram that the iPhone 6 does struggle with.

9. chivkea macrumors newbie

If you can't wait another year for the X2, your best bet would probably be the 7. Honestly, iPhone 6/6s were haunted by battery issues. The 8 is very similar to the 7, but just cost more. So if you're into having better photos, your bet is on the 8. If you want to save some money, your bet is on the 7.

I think Apple themselves is confused on the iPhones. This is the first time they sell the 6s, 7, 8, and X at the same time. That's pretty much telling us they can't even justify why 8 would be a better phone than 6s other than having a better camera. Otherwise, all the phones could run everything else just fine. They really should kill the 6s and 7/7+. After all, 8/8+ is really 7s/7s+ in disguise.

10. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

If money is a factor then yes, a 7 could potentially be the better option. However the 8 offers a little more than the 7. The camera as you’ve mentioned is one. The battery life on 8/8+ are better than the 7/7+. The screen is better. The speakers are better, wireless charging, the A11 chip is significantly better and will age better than an A10 (A11 can, due to its new controller utilize all 6 cores at once when required to. The A10 can only use two at a time) The GPU in the 8 is Apple designed and what they will be using and supporting more down the road.

The 8 overall is just vastly more future proof than the 7. Is $100 at most worth losing out on longevity?

11. cracksoup macrumors 6502

cracksoup

I switched out my battery for $30, but I did the work myself which was a mistake.. I messed up the 3D Touch so it doesn’t work on half of my display and I got a ghost shadow on my display which is very noticeable on white backgrounds. So I’ll have to buy an iPhone 8 Plus today. Poor me.

The battery life though is unbelievable now, even with iOS 11! I went through a 14 hour day yesterday with 5 hours of use and went to bed with 45% battery left.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But is that with the consumer really cares about? And it's a given expectation that the iPhone should improve every single year which supersedes the previous device in terms of longevity. But given that most consumers upgrade their devices likely between one and three years, I would say most consumers don't take into consideration or even utilize all the power the iPhone has to fully appreciate it.

On a tech site, we can discuss specifications in every facet, but in the average iPhone consumer world, nobody cares about that. They just want to phone that functions and gives them a good camera and display with a choice of color. I would estimate more than half of every day consumers are not even aware of all the functionality an iPhone even has or the minor improvements they make on a yearly basis.

13. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Maybe not always, but it’s something the average consumer should think about. Because the average consumer holds onto their device longer than someone who fallows every rumour, leak and “tech specs”.

Considering the OP is on a site like this asking, my points apply. Because he/she is at least more aware than the average consumer. (Most ios users have zero clue this site exists)

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I'm not referring to the OP or their inquiry or questioning your points. But your first sentence is exactly what I am referring to and outside the tech world, because the average consumer does not read deeply into tech or fully understand everything that applies to an iPhone, simply because they don't care. I can go to any third-party tech retailer or carrier and the majority of those who upgrade, simply pick a color, storage and ask a few basic simplistic questions about the phone and then complete the purchase. They're not interested in the A11 Bionic processor, they're not interested in a 25% increase in more efficient stereo speakers, etc.

Apple knows this as well. That's why they highlight the features that they believe somebody would be interested in with wireless charging, a larger battery, or improved camera. Those are the features that the average consumer understands (And likely cares mainly about) that's not too technical.

15. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

But my post was directed to the OP and not someone outside the “tech world”. He/she asked if the upgrade is worth it. It absolutely is and I gave points as to why.

Also Apple highlights all the “features” I listed (minus the fact it can use all 6 cores vs the A10 only able to use the two high power or two high efficiency cores separately) quite clearly on their website for the 8/8+. Available to every consumer to see.

16. Relentless Power, Oct 10, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

For a second time , I'm not deflecting away from what your advice is to the OP, nor am I being dismissive . I'm simply quoting you when you stated "The eight is overall just vastly more future proof than the 7." Which I branched off on a tangent stating that future proof simply has no direct meaning to the average consumer and there really is no such thing as future proofing with technology, because there isn't in the consumers eyes. Most don't even understand what "future proofing" even means.

Furthermore, when I stated Apple highlights features that they believe somebody would be interested in, they're selling those features during the keynote. Again, another point that consumers don't visit tech specifications to see how many cores or what processor their iPhone has. So you further strengthened my point prior that I addressed in my previous post. Apple doesn't even touch on Ram during an iPhone during The keynote. They sell the features they want the audience to see AND understand. It's marketing.

17. Smartass, Oct 10, 2017

Smartass macrumors 65816

Buy the 7 it's currently much better option. You can get it for much cheaper than the 8. Speed and better speakers are the only real differences between the two. Camera is basically the same with no noticable differences. And designwise - same design, except for that little glass panel on the back of iphone 8, which will cost you 300$+ to replace if you ever break it.

18. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

But your tangent has nothing to do with the topic or response I gave the OP or to the question the OP asked. OP asked a specific question, I gave a specific answer. I know you’re not disputing the points, but your tangent veers away the specific topic/question.

They are not just “selling” those features during the keynote. Going off your points, the average user wouldn’t have even watched the keynote. (Something only tech nerds would actually do) But a lot do go to Apple’s website to look at the new phone. Which they do highlight a lot of the major key points. Go look right now.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Ironically, a lot of your own quotes don't correlate to the thread either. However, If you think every thread or topic is going to discuss Specifics to Correlate exactly
    To the thread title, then you have not been here very long to fully understand that's not how discussion works. I also suggest you read through any other thread on this website, and there is going to be topics that will not specifically discuss every itemized point. I understand what you directed towards the OP, but part of discussion is also seeing two sides to the post, which you seem to struggle with.

Furthermore, I quoted you based off something that I conflicted with what you said was an Inaccurate. There is no such thing as future proofing, period. And Apples largest event of the year annually for them, is there iPhone event. Even for those who don't watch it, they don't care about technical specifications internally in the iPhone. It's fact. They simply care about storage, color and the camera (Features they understand). Which again, it goes back to how you said the iPhone 8 is vastly for future proofing than the 7.

Lastly, I don't need to visit Apple's website as suggested. I'm fairly well versed on what's listed and what's not. But again, I don't know house to reiterate this to you, but most purchasing an iPhone for the majority, they don't care about technical specifications.

20. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I disagree on this one. I have compared the screens of both 7 and 8 side by side and the screen of 8 is visibly less bright. So if you use your phone outside a lot, you may want to check how it fares under typical settings with auto-brightness on.

21. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

How is it inaccurate that the iPhone 8 is more future proof than the 7 or 6???

It’s an undeniable fact that the 8 is more future proof than its predecessors. The 8 will be relevant longer and supported longer than the 6 the OP owns and also the 7 (which can be a cheaper option to an 8)

The difference (irrelevant to average consumers in this discussion) between the A11 being able to use all 6 cores vs the A10 only able to use two at once, is almost just as big a deal as a 32bit SOC vs a 64bit SOC. IE it will have a longer life span. IE it is more future proof because it will last longer and be supported longer and age far better than any device before it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    You’re comparing a screen that has True Tone display vs one that doesn’t.

True Tone accounts for ambient light and adjusts the brightness and colour temperature accordingly.

Test them side by side with equal settings.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I understand what you're saying With the technicality In terms of every new iPhone, that's expected for the next iteration to be supported longer than the previous iPhone. But Future proofing is an exaggerated moniker that most again have no understanding of what is and how it applies to their device. Future proofing is also not real world indicative of anything, it simply means "Does their iPhone perform the way they need it to". For example, The OP stated themselves that they don't upgrade every year, Given that most devices are supported up to five years, the majority upgrade long before five years is ending or they experience hardware issues or a battery replacement is required.

Not to mention, I think carriers offer so many promotions, trade-ins and upgrade incentives, that the majority of iPhone owners upgrade before their device will see the end of iOS, Thus future proofing just sounds good, but doesn't really equate anything unless someone has no means at all to upgrade. But there are some who choose not to upgrade or retain their device simply because it does everything they need it to.

23. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I did test them with equal settings (True Tone OFF, Auto-brightness ON). The screen of iPhone 8 looked darker than that of 7. You can easily see it by opening a blank web page, for example.

24. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

The fact the OP is still using a iPhone 6 and is potentially wanting to upgrade means they hold onto devices. The 6 is beginning to show it age now in iOS 11, because of its somewhat lack luster CPU and limited RAM. If the OP got an 8 then he/she would be worry free spec wise as far as support and performance much longer.

I really don’t understand why you’re arguing this. OP uses a 6 this long, asks to know if the 8 is worth it, likely to learn if it will serve him/her just as long or better. I point out the 8 will be relevant longer, which is obviously something that is pertinent to the OP’s needs. Suggesting anything other than an 8 (ignoring financial restrictions, which I also covered in my very first post) is foolish. There are many features outside the SOC alone.

25. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

Choosing your next phone I would also consider that from 2018 onwards Apple will start actively adopting the tech introducing with X, such as Face ID (already rumoured for future iPads too) and no home button of any kind. So this year basically gives Apple time to test and perform this new tech in real-world use. I believe that 2018 iPhone line-up should be even more “advanced” than the current difference between 7 and 8.

8 is essentially a “gap phone”, something just marginally better than 7. This is confirmed by quite a few reviews, discouraging 7 owners from upgrading. X on the other side is a totally new thing, although very expensive for many people. Depending on the demand/sales of X once it comes out, we would hopefully see a lower starting point for them next year.

Having tried 7 and 8 side by side, I personally went with 7 (32 GB) and am super happy with it. I do not use it for anything super intense, so the mega-speeds of 8 are not as important for me. Ironically, during my tests, 7 was also loading complex web pages faster than 8.