Thinking ahead.....

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by brentg33, Jul 15, 2013.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

So i have a 2011 iMac with an SSD and regular HD (not fusion). I currently have my itunes, aperture, iPhoto, etc libraries on the reg HD. I was thinking of doing a clean install of Mavericks when its officially released. If i reformat the SSD.....i'm thinking i can just point those repective applications to the old libraries on the reg HD. Anyone think if there would be any issues for that? or a better way? I would have to have to restore the itunes library in particular (120+ GB)

thanks

2. dsdevries macrumors member

As long as your libraries are not corrupted you can always point iPhoto, iTunes etc to them. There are settings for this in the preference panes of these apps.
    But why don't you make a backup of them first to a different drive, manually or with Time Machine and reformat the the drives as one fusion drive and do a clean install instead? Then copy back the libraries to their default folders (~/Music, ~/Pictures, ~/Videos, etc) and let OS X figure out where to to put the files. This seems to make your life a lot easier!

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

my iMac didnt come with a fusion drive. Is there an easy way to turn it into one?

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If you are comfortable with Terminal, there are instructions to do it. Google it and you'll find out how.

5. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i am comfortable with terminal. However, i think i'd rather keep it as is. that said, i think i should be able to just format the SSD and point the apps to their libraries on the other drive.

6. fivedots macrumors 6502a

From my experience, I don't see any reason why this would not work.