thinking bout going back to 10.5 from 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by preppyclubguy, May 20, 2010.

1. preppyclubguy macrumors member

so since i did the upgrade it seems my system is less stable, switching from (here is an example logic pro to safari) it lags and at times i get the famous beachball also within safari it hangs for a second when adding a new tab. I know by deleteing reformatting my hard drive i will have to reinstall everything which will take hours if not days cause time machine wont do much is 10.6 that much better then 10.5 can some of you comment please and let me know what to do

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Do some maintenance on your Mac! Download either Yasu or Onyx and run all the cleaning routines. Let the program restart your Mac. Then upon the start-up immediately manually reboot again to completely rebuild your System Startup/Shutdown cache. This should help and should be done about once every 3-4 months to keep a Mac running almost like new.

3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Unless you have a Core Solo Mac mini (and even then...), 10.6 is superior. It's faster, more efficient, takes up less space, takes more advantage of your hardware. It's win. Having performed dozens of upgrades from 10.5 to 10.6, I've only encountered your problem a couple times and it was typically indicative of a forthcoming hard drive failure. This might be your problem too, especially if you can't get Time Machine to work.

That said, I'd try to copy your crap off manually and then wipe your drive before installing 10.6. If it lags from there, either you don't have enough memory (at least 1GB minimum, 2GB recommended) or your drive is on its way out. That said, going back to 10.5 won't solve anything. It is an inefficient OS; if anything, your performance should be worse there than here. Also, upgrade installs always have the potential of being less stable than fresh ones. Jus' sayin'.

Unless you have hundreds of GB of data to copy over and back and tons of programs with annoyingly complicated installation processes, you should be back up and running within six hours, and even that's an outside estimate.