Thinking Hackintosh...

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by knapp40, Oct 16, 2012.

1. knapp40 macrumors newbie

First off I'm very sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I couldn't find a different spot for this. So move it if needs be.

I have been thinking of buying a PC from Cyberpowerpc.com, I can find almost all of the specs on that webpage that match up with the Tonymacx86 blog, and I don't have to assemble the PC, the only thing that probably won't match up will be the Power supply and possibly the ODD but I can easily swap that out if need be, so not worried about that.

I know that an updated iMac will probably be released next week, but I want to play games on my computer, so I would install windows no matter what. I'm also fairly sure that the new iMac won't have an ODD.

So I can build a new nearly spec'ed out PC for cheaper than a iMac. Which I can upgrade in a few years if I need to.... And play games on the Windows Drive. But I hate doing anything in Windows other than gaming. I love OS X...and don't want to give it up but I want to game on Windows, but I don't much care for it....

Just need some advice. I'm SO tempted to go the Hackintosh route. I see more and more advantages and I am reading more and more forums about how to install the Hackintosh...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I love gaming too but I am very content to do it on my 27" 2011 iMac. The 6970 GPU is fine for most current games at high settings. It cannot maximize all games at high frame rates but for most gamers, I think they'd be pretty happy with how this system performs. To get really high performance and be able to max everything on everything is expensive on the PC side hardware-wise too. So a high end gaming PC is not exactly an inexpensive proposition. I don't mean midrange either - I mean high end. Most of us really don't need that to enjoy games that look good and run smoothly though. Check the Steam hardware survey results sometime and you'll notice the typical gamer does not run high end despite all the talk.

I enjoy running native games whenever possible thanks primarily to Blizzard, Feral and Aspyr.

I enjoy running old classics (games you'd find on gog.com) running Windows XP in a Parallels virtual machine on my OS X desktop without rebooting.

When it is a Windows only game I really want to play, I reboot with bootcamp and go that route to maximize performance.

There isn't anything currently out that I can't enjoy playing on this system although I'll concede I cannot maximize all settings all of the time. If you have this thing for needing to max all settings always, I think you need to spend a few grand on a high end gaming PC and even then, there are games out currently that no modern hardware can max without dropping frames.

The gaming situation for Mac users will likely be even better whenever new Macs arrive if they come with faster GPUs which I'd expect they will. But honestly, I think gaming is great on the Mac I have right now.

For what it's worth, I've been playing games on computers since the IBM PC-XT. I've never gone with top end, always mid-range. It hasn't stopped me from having a lot of great fun. ;-)

Since you asked, my personal opinion is skip the hackintosh and get youself a nice iMac where everything just works. It's less hassle and would serve your needs very nicely. I also forget to mention another alternative to game in OS X and skip rebooting into Windows, which is Wineskin. I am admittedly inexperienced with it so far but having read about it, it sounds like a great way to get some games wrapped up to run in OS X so you needn't bother with rebooting.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

I have the same iMac and I would not recommend it for gaming. Not that it won't keep up with a decent amount of games, but because the heat generated in such a narrow enclosed space won't be good for the screen in the long run.

Even running a modest game like Trine 2 sends the gpu over 80ºC, so I have to force the fans to kick in earlier than the iMac's SMC would. Unfortunately, while the cpu, hard drive and superdrive get a dedicated fan each, there is nothing for the gpu, so even running fans at full pelt only seems to lower the temps there a few degrees or so.

There are too many reports of yellowing (my sister's iMac suffers greatly from this) being caused by excessive heat - particularly in the top left corner, where the power supply sits.

I also have a hackinDell Inspiron desktop and that coped with games perfectly, plus upgrading is cheaper than selling current Apple gear and swallowing the difference.

4. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

Do it. I followed Tony's recent guide and have been extremely satisfied with my hackintosh. The good part is you can use any new nvidia Kepler card with out any work. I'd built mine myself, it's really easy no need to pay a premium. Go to micro center if you have one close.

5. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

Well, I have two Hackintosh builds currently and am working on the third. They would be considered Hack-Pros and the third is a Mac Mini build into a white BitFenix mini itx case. I have been building them since 10.5.8 which WAS a hassle through to Mountain Lion which is so easy it shocks me!:D My Brother got me into the Hackintosh scene and was nice enough to always help or do the work himself also.

I have a Mac Pro that I game on also along with a couple other Macs and the Hackintosh builds are great. Both of my Hack Pros use GTX 580 cards, core i7 3.4ghz 1155 and 24GB RAM. I can run Dirt 2, Borderlands and my own game on highest settings and they don't miss a beat. The only issue with them is that they are not perfect when it comes to running everything for OSX. The more software you throw at them, the better the chance of encountering a small problem. But there is enough info on the web to get through almost all situations.

Using TonyMac x86 instructions will be your best bet and it is very satisfying when they are done right. If you buy compatible parts and "do as your told" from the site, you can get through it with minimal (maybe no) problems in a very short amount of time and you may even be surprised as to how easy it is. But if you travel off the beaten path and go your own way you can encounter situations that require a lot more patience and time to get working.

6. knapp40 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone...good things to think about! :)

7. Irishman macrumors 68030

What do you love about OS X? If you're planning on using the new computer primarily for Windows gaming regardless, why even consider a Mac? Even a Hackintosh? The advantages of using OS X go out the window if you spend an appreciable amount of your time playing Windows games.

I never thought I'd say this. but it sounds like you need a PC.

8. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

Another option:

Look out for a 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro. They cost about 1300$.
    Then get a GTX570, it will work out of the box with ML.
    If you need full performance, go get a EFI-flashed one from MacVideoCards (~500$).

You will get a fast and very reliable machine for just 2k.

Hackintoshes tend to be quite unreliable.
    I do have the exact setup as I just mentioned (check my signature) and I spend 1800$ on it.

9. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

This is what Applecare is for. I expect the machine to perform just fine and the cooling systems to work adequately for any app I want to run, including games. If the system is going to fail because of heat, it will do so in less than 3 years and Applecare will cover it.

iMacs do run hot when gaming it's true but they are designed to dissipate that heat well. I'm not worried about it at all. I would be if I didn't have Applecare though, where this is my first iMac.

By the way, I have been gaming daily for hours at a time for 5 months now without any overheating issues of any kind.

10. weckart macrumors 68040

I have Applecare, which is a last resort. I prefer not to risk having to be without my iMac or to find that any repair has left trapped dust or a still less than evenly lit and white screen, which is what I have now.

Frankly, I don't place 100% store in Apple's engineering skills when it comes to heat dissipation or QC in general. Too many fails here to count.

Let's be honest. If you were to design a gaming machine from scratch, an all-in-one design like the iMac would be at the bottom of your list.

11. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

IMO you should custom build the PC and just run Windows, I think you're just being dramatic about hating it for anything other than gaming lol, it really isn't that bad... and you probably have a MBP or what not for your os x needs :shrug:

12. knapp40 thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true, thanks for your input.

13. porfer macrumors newbie

if you want to play just get a PS3 or a Xbox, I know it's not the same but don't get me wrong, I prefer to play seating on a couch with big screen instead to play in front of a computer. But that is me..

14. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

If he uses the correct parts, he can run OS X on this machine. And that machine can be very powerful - an overclocked i7 3960x gives a Geekbench score of 20'000 - 22'000. In comparison, the fastest 12-core Mac Pro gives about 20'000 and costs about 10'000$.

There is no need to give up OS X - the only thing with a hackintosh is that it might be a bit unreliable. Go and check blog.tonymacx86.com, he has a list of parts where you can build a perfectly stable hackintosh.

15. MacGamerHQ macrumors member

MacGamerHQ

Hey! I was virtually in the same situation a couple of months ago.
    I had an iMac and was really trying to figure out wheter to sell it and get a newer one or to go the hackintosh route.

At the end I decided to buld a hackintosh and I havent' looked back!

The advantages:
    • Really easy to build and setup if you select compatible hardware
    • Can be tailored around gaming (choices in GFX cards and so on)
    • Stable and reliable once you optimize it at the beginning
    • Can be as powerful as you need it to be
    • Can be upgraded easily
    • Cheaper than a Mac alternative

What I miss:
    • Can be unstable (specially at first)
    • It does not have the "sleekness" of Mac products
    • If something fails, you need to figure it out yourself

I was completely a noob concerning computer DIY, troubleshooting, etc, so I was very intimidated by the process. At the end, with the help of tonymax's forum, I got all the help I needed.
    Hope this helps!

16. Irishman macrumors 68030

Where have you seen those particular Mac Pros, and how exactly would someone go about searching for the right one? (I'm guessing not all sellers will include "Nehalem" in their descriptions).

17. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

Nehalem is just another name for the Quad Core Xeon CPU ;)
    In fact you can get any 2009 or 2010 or even 2012 Mac Pro's, I mentioned the 2009 2.66 Quad because it is the cheapest. 8-core MPs are still very expensive, though out-of-date.

You see them everywhere, eBay or there are many local second-hand shops that sell them.

18. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I think you should just build a kick ass windows gaming machine. then you can choose the hardware you want. if your going to invest the money, might as well be getting the hardware you want not hardware picked for you. Then you would have a machine for gaming and your laptop for osx. I dont see whats so bad about that. if you build a hackintosh you will be forever tweaking and screwing with it especially after each osx release when things outright stop working.

19. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

Not quite true. If you pick the correct parts, and they can be very very powerful, you just need to tweak a bit when installing OS X, afterwards you'll be fine.

20. MacGamerHQ macrumors member

MacGamerHQ

Agreed. However, the start can be "bumpy". Once you have everything in place though, you can have a machine "almost" as stable as a Mac.

And by the way, you do have lots of options regarding hardware compatible, so you can build something that really matches what YOU want.

My 2 cents...

21. knapp40 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I took the leap and here are my specs on my future PC machine that I will "try" to install MT Lion on. I followed almost all of the specs listed on Tonymac x86 The Power unit, the case, are the only things that I'm not sure of. I'm going to get a wireless NIC on Amazon from the Tonymac page and then I should be all set. Thanks everyone for your advice. I think this will be way cool.

CAS: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ dual 200mm fans, integrated fan controller, front USB 3.0 Port & Side-Panel Window
    CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache
    FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
    HDD: 256GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 555 MB/s Read & 530 MB/s Write (256GB x 2 (512GB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance
    HDD2: 128GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 350 MB/s Write (Single Drive)
    IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
    MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance
    MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) GIGABYTE X79-UD5 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Dolby Home Theater 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PC
    MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels
    NOISEREDUCE2: Power Supply Gasket
    NOISEREDUCE3: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts
    POWERSUPPLY: * 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked)

22. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Unless you've already bought it I'd considering redo that setup.
    X79 has limited support, no sleep, no speedstep etc..
    Goinf Z77 with a 3770K which easily overclocks to 4.4Ghz++ will be cheaper and more compatible.

As for case and PSU, those don't matter in regards to hack compatibility.

23. knapp40 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh man!! oh well...I really wasn't planning on using sleep mode anyway... The X79 was the only chipset that I could get with that configuration. Well what is done is done. Thanks for the heads up.

24. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

25. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

2c:

build a gaming box on windows. use your existing mac for OS X.