iPad Thinking myself in circles, iPad 4 or 5? (from a 3)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thefredelement, Oct 21, 2013.

  1. thefredelement macrumors 65816


    Apr 10, 2012
    New York
    I know full well the iPad 5 isn't out yet but can hopefully safely assume it will be the current model for the next year and be the first iPad with a 64bit CPU, be faster than the iPad 4 and retain it's value that much more than an iPad 4 when the 6 comes out.

    Earlier today I sold my iPad 3 (32GB, 4G) with the sole purpose of taking advantage of plummeting iPad 4 prices later this week to pick one up on the cheap. I figured I'd get a decent spec bump, hold up with iOS7 for the next year and not have to deal with two different charging cables. All for around $100 - $150 over what I sold the iPad 3 for.

    Over the last few hours a debate has started in my mind, do I spend the extra cash and get the iPad 5 (32GB, 4G) or go with my original plan?

    As an iPad 3 owner, I was kind of not expecting the 4 so shortly after the 3 came out and didn't really want to go through a sell and buy cycle so shortly after getting it, now though, hopefully we're back on "regularly scheduled" updates and I can get a little more value out of a 5 if I choose to do that.

    What would you do?

    I used my iPad everyday, mostly for reading, some game playing, astronomy apps, off loading pics from my digital camera on the road and some light iPhoto editing, sharing websites and videos that I make with clients & friends. (Also as a hot spot about once a month), I don't think it's a question if a 4 can do this for the next year, I think I'm trying to make the best decision value wise at this point.
  2. Bear macrumors G3

    Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    First of all, if you decide to go with an iPad 4 after the announcement, I suggest you check to see what the refurbished prices have dropped to on Apple's site. That way you get a decent price and a full warranty.

    If the next iPad has a 64bit processor, I would lean towards getting that and keeping it for a few years. If it still has a 32 bit processor, get the iPad 4 with the idea of upgrading when the iPads come with 64 bit processors.

    Also if you go with the new iPad, do think about storage capacity as you will be keeping it a while.
  3. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

    Sep 23, 2012
    Just my opinion, but there isn't a big enough difference between the 3 and the 4 to warrant an upgrade. The 5 should be nice. If you don't mind shelling out a little more, the 5 is probably the best choice.
  4. bkribbs macrumors 65816

    Jan 15, 2012
    Either go refurb 4 or new 5. New 4 would be pointless.
  5. mrmarts, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

    mrmarts macrumors 65816

    Feb 6, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I too had a 3rd Gen IPad which i sold back in April for the upcoming 5, and I feel your pain it was a great burden to purchase my first iPad and see another version along the track. That I would go for 5 as it will get the 64bit processor, have a better design and graphics, and possibly get more battery life and memory or to put it simply its going to be the tick of iPad upgrades, i assume the tock will be next years 6 which will maintain this years form factor. However if you are wanting to save money I would go for a 128GB ipad 4 off ebay as there will be heaps for sale given the iPad 5 launch.
  6. thefredelement thread starter macrumors 65816


    Apr 10, 2012
    New York
    Actually think I'm going for the 4, I'm just not drooling over the 5 like I did with the 3, thanks for all the inputs though everyone. I'm sure I'll have to do this again next year after 64bit apps really take a hold over the next 12 months, etc.
  7. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular


    Apr 14, 2008
    Newton-le-Willows, England
    Same dilemma here. Thinking going for the 4 if I can find one and get a good discount. Apple refurb have 15% off but that was the same as before.
  8. adam044 macrumors 65816


    Jan 24, 2012
    If you are interested in an iPad 4 I will sell you mine at a fair price. PM me as I don't think it is appropriate to sell here in this thread. I have a Craigslist listing for you to look at.
  9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

    Dec 30, 2010

    This was a worthless post yesterday, and still is.

    Yesterday, we did not know what the "5" was. Nothing to discuss.

    Today we know. You either like the changes or you go with the 4. Personally, I can see ZERO reason to go with the 4.
  10. robo74 macrumors 6502


    Feb 6, 2004
    Near Chicago
    Just caught a deal for a iPad 4 New for $399.99 (no tax) for my wife.
    I will be upgrading her ipad 2 for her. 16GB is still enough for her eBooks and web surfing. She will be a happy camper. And since they are still selling the ipad 2, I will recoup atleast 50% of the cost back.

    Win win in my home.

  11. Macalway macrumors 68030

    Aug 7, 2013

Share This Page