Thinking of a Cisco / Linksys Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BasilFawlty, Jul 13, 2012.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

So was I...but not now.

I had actually been considering a Cisco / Linksys router - until a friend turned me on to a pod cast about Cisco/ Linksys over at "Security Now 360". Seems Cisco, on some routers, did a firmwear update - without the owner's knowledge or permission, which changed the way owners could administer their routers. Prior to the stealth firmwear update, users would log into their router locally. However, after the firmwear update (which they didn't tell people about), when people went to administer their router, they were told they had to log into some remote website and establish an account.

It gets worse

In the user agreement for this "service" they say that (paraphrasing) "we may keep track of certain information, to include how much internet traffic pases through your router, what devices and media content you have on your home system - and they will share info with the third partys - and also, keep track of your internet history.

The pod cast is here:

http://twit.tv/show/security-now/360

I didn't watch the video, but if you will scoll down the left side and download the AUDIO podcast, then skip to about 16:15 - that's where they start talking about what Cisco has done. I don't have a Cisco router, but if I did it would be in the trash right now and it would be the last Cisco product I ever purchased.

Cheers

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yup, I'll stick with an Apple router for as long as they offer them. Excellent throughput and stability. Plus Apple wouldn't pull that kind of crap.

3. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I have an older 500GB Time Capsule and have had issues with it, so was looking for a replacement. I may end up just getting a newer, larger TC.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Not yet, anyway.

But they did create a new version of Airport Utility, which is a POS. And those of us with slightly older AEBS or Expresses had to download the old version of Airport Utility, which the Lion installer helpfully overwrote. But at least it's available...for now.

All in all, I'd prefer Apple just allow an interface through a browser like everyone else. Their implementations of management, firewall, port forwarding, etc is clunky and no improvement over most other manufacturers' offerings.

I'd say my AEBS is dependable, but not necessarily better than the Netgears I've used. And harder to configure.

5. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

If it helps, the firmware has already updated to not require the 360.