Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toddburch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Katy, Texas
My son certainly wants one, but I don't know that I'm prepared to pay $90/month for what would essentially be a techno-toy / text messaging engine for him.

I was just looking at the rates, and realized that even on the family plan, this thing is not inexpensive to own and operate.

I think what would throw me over the fence, and go buy one today, would be the capability to hook up an external monitor, keyboard and mouse to it and it like a portable mac mini. If I could do that, I'd go buy one right now. Actually, probably 3 of them, and get rid of high speed internet to the house.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Despite the lack of an actual question in your post, I will tell you the iPhone cannot be used as a mini mac mini. You cannot change the rate plan, you cannot avoid the fact that your son will use it as a text message machine, you cannot hook it up to an external monitor (yet) and you cannot hook it up to a keyboard and mouse. This is a phone with some benefits that a computer has. It is in no way a suitable replacement for a computer as I am sure you're aware.

Sounds like your son is getting another phone instead.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
My son certainly wants one, but I don't know that I'm prepared to pay $90/month for what would essentially be a techno-toy / text messaging engine for him.

I was just looking at the rates, and realized that even on the family plan, this thing is not inexpensive to own and operate.

I think what would throw me over the fence, and go buy one today, would be the capability to hook up an external monitor, keyboard and mouse to it and it like a portable mac mini. If I could do that, I'd go buy one right now. Actually, probably 3 of them, and get rid of high speed internet to the house.

You do know that the iPhone 3G plan is 30$ including data every month(Family Plan).

toddburch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Katy, Texas
Yes Jessica, there wasn't really a question there - I just thought I would share my pondering on the forum for anyone who cares to join in could. Was I supposed to ask a question?

fireshot1, I understood it to me much more, but that an additional phone on the family plan would be $39.99 a pop.

This is where I got my info:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

I see it as 1) buy the phone, 2) pay $69.99/month base plan, 3) pay $20/month for unlimited text = ~$90/month (more with taxes, etc.)

Where does the $30/month come from?

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Is PAYG available where you live? If so, get it on PAYG, so he can buy the credit he's going to waste on the kid sitting two rows in front of him in class. :rolleyes:

brian doherty

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
If you already have a family plan with AT&T it will cost you the price of the phone + $30 / month for data. The iPhone will share the family plans minutes.

As far as I know, if you have an unlimited family texting plan, it applies to the iPhone as well.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Yes Jessica, there wasn't really a question there - I just thought I would share my pondering on the forum for anyone who cares to join in could. Was I supposed to ask a question?

fireshot1, I understood it to me much more, but that an additional phone on the family plan would be $39.99 a pop.

This is where I got my info:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

I see it as 1) buy the phone, 2) pay $69.99/month base plan, 3) pay $20/month for unlimited text = ~$90/month (more with taxes, etc.)

Where does the $30/month come from?

it comes from well, the iPhone NOT being the main phone on the line. You will have the ~60$ a month charge, and the family line will be 10$ plus 30$ I think it is. so 100$ for two phones with one having unlimited data. Plus the txting is another 20$ for unlimited.

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
if your son truly wants the iphone he should be willing to get a job to at least pay a little bit of the monthly cost, if he isn't then get him something else, hope that helps.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

No but a question invokes response whereas pondering on screen invokes further pondering and you never really get to the bottom of what you need. I mean hey, isn't that what you really came here for? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.