Thinking of a laptop as a desktop setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DominusNovus, Sep 24, 2009.

1. DominusNovus macrumors member

Hi,

I currently have a low-end 24" rev. C iMac (was going to get the high end one, but wanted to buy in-store as it was tax-free weekend), from August 2007.

As time goes on, I'm more and more impressed with the merits of a laptop. I've seen many people set theirs up on desktops, with full keyboards, displays and mice. Even had a similar set up at a job. Of course, I'd want to do this with a macbook (possibly a MBP).

Whats the most economic way of going about that? Theoretically, I could just use an old LCD display I have somewhere, and take the keyboard and mouse and plug them in, I suppose, though that would likely reduce the resale value of my iMac, should I decide to pursue this course. However, I'd rather get a new display, as my old one is... old.

I also see pictures of these set-ups which involve platforms of sorts for the laptops, presumably to help with cooling issues.

So, what recommendations would you make for me to go about doing this? I'm in no particularly rush, and might even wait long enough for a new revision to come out.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Um, if you want a desktop, why get a laptop? If the low energy use appeals to you, get a Mac Mini.

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I have my 13 inch unibody MacBook hooked up to act as a desktop, I was getting tired of having to keep my MacBook and my old iMac synced up. I got one of the thin Apple keyboards and a wireless mighty mouse. I have a M-Audio audio interface for my speakers and my iPhone dock hooked to the USB hub on the keyboard. I also have it running on a Dell 20 inch LCD. I have 3 wires, USB, Power, Mini display. I enjoy using it this way when Im not on the go.

4. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is rather odd. I can only assume (hope) that the op means he wants to move it when he says 'the merits of a laptop'. If he does just want to use it as a desktop, then he's mad or addicted to purchases!

Anyway, you'd need a screen, keyboard, mouse, and probably something to stand your laptop on.

5. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

At my office, we have 80+ people using 15" MacBook Pros. When we're at our desks, we have nice big 24" monitors with keyboards and mice. When we're on the road or in meetings, we unplug them and use them as notebook computers. At home, I do the same thing. I think it gives you the best of both worlds.

Go for it.

6. floydp macrumors newbie

floydp

I've been doing just that for almost three years with a Macbook. I use the vidpro laptop stand with six usb slots that's connected to a 22" Dell LCD. My wife has an Imac but I like to use the laptop in other rooms or for traveling on occasion. Upgrading to a Macbook Pro soon and will continue to use this setup.

7. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I use my 17" MBP as my "desktop" though I don't use an external keyboard, just a bluetooth mighty mouse. I did do the whole keyboard/mouse external monitor for work with my Thinkpad. Works great if the laptop is small, but if you have lots of screen realestate like the 17", then you don't need the extra stuff.

8. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I've got a similar setup. I started out trying to save a little money, but begin to like how it all came together. Funny thing is, it works. I'm using my samsung flat screen but I also have a monitor & Mac mini. Try not to over buy. You only end up with a lot of extras laying around. A good monitor & laptop is a start. Then try and get a good set of desktop speakers. You'll see what your needs are as you go along. Well, good luck to you. :apple::apple:

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

i have an mba rev b attached to a dell 24 inch monitor with a bluetooth apple slm keyboard as my setup. the mba slows abit when running flash but i mainly use this setup to write for grad school and to watch a movie. its great having dual monitors. if your looking for a deskstop replacement, then an mbp 13 in would suffice, and of course upgrade the ram if needed.

10. DominusNovus thread starter macrumors member

Yes, most definitely. Being able to bring the computer with me for various purposes, and then back home, where I can enjoy the use of a full keyboard, proper mouse, and large screen.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is my current setup (I wish I had a pic but I dont. ) its awesome.

My MBP sits on one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834996172&Tpk=rain%20stand

And its beside my 24 inch apple cinema display w/ a logitech dinovo mac edition (excellent keyboard) and a logitech revolution mouse.

And a 4 bay icy dock enclosure as my external.

This setup is actually so good its prevented me from getting a mac pro tower for a while longer.

12. DominusNovus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! I'll keep all this advice (and any future advise) in mind. Lucky for me, I already have external speakers (that aren't doing much at the moment anyway), so check on that one.

13. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I used to have a laptop and a desktop. I then got my current 15" MBP and starting hooking it up to my 28" LCD. Now I sold my desktop and just use this MBP as a laptop when out and about (or when I want to surf the web in another room etc.) and plug in 3 cables to convert it to "desktop mode" at my desk: mini-displayport, 1 USB (mouse is hooked up to the built-in USB hub of my keyboard) for keyboard, and Magsafe power. Its been working great for me and I don't use one of those stands yet my temps are still ok I suppose.