Thinking of a MacBook with 27" Thunderbolt Display set up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Japanmac, May 18, 2015.

1. Japanmac macrumors newbie

Japanmac

I am new to Apple. I was thinking about getting a iMac 27" 5K but then saw a video on YouTube on how the 27" Thunderbolt Display hooks up to a MacBook Air or Pro (sort of getting the best of both worlds, a laptop and a desktop)

this all looks good but in real terms I have reservations .......... And at the same time very interested

For me. I would use the desktop set up more than carrying around the MacBook. So I wonder how easy would it be to turn on and shutdown each day? And what about the external keyboard and mouse? Do they stay set up to the device even after turning off?

I suppose what I am wondering is, on a regular day what would I have to do extra that I wouldn't have to do with an iMac 27" 5K?

Thank you for any insight and replies

2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I think buying what is effectively a 5-year old display at this point for anywhere near the $1000 Apple sells it for is a real crime. Avoid.

iMac with Retina 5K display will offer far more value. If you feel you are going to use the computer more in a desktop mode, your dollar goes far further in that setup.

Extra monitors for computers have, to me, always felt best when the laptop has already been bought or is provided to you for work, and you feel you need more screen space. But when you have the flexibility to start from scratch, always separate devices are best because they do different things.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Indeed, go Retima iMac with max CPU, GPU, at least 16GB or memory, and a 500GB SSD. Use external drives for your libraries (movies, pictures, documents) and a separated dedicated drive (or Time Capsule) for Time Machine backups.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

You definitely shouldn't be wasting your money on the nearly 4 years old and very inflexible Thunderbolt Display.

Whether an iMac or MBP + external display is best for your needs really depends on how much you need the portability of the MBP.
    I am using my MBP in clamshell mode with an external display most of the time, but I wouldn't want to be without the ability to unplug and take it with me to meetings and the like.

5. Japanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Japanmac

6. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Agree with everyone - the TBM I.O. is darn near Antique

An Apple Display (doesn't have to be called Thunderbolt these days) with USB 3.1 and TB2/3 would be interesting. Covers the current lineup. But that's an old and tired conversation. No?

7. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

I would get a base retina iMac with 256 SSD, maybe i7 and/or 295x upgrade if he needs it.

Upgrading the SSD isn't necessary unless you want everything on the SSD. If you have externals for files then 256 SSD is more than enough.