Thinking of a New-to-me Car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Melrose, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Probably a little bit off, but I always gather my facts as much in advance as possible. I've been having some engine probs with my vehicle, and am considering one of these:
    [​IMG]

I like Cadillac, and this would be a few years old and, thus, affordable.

Does anyone here have one? Are they reliable, fast, good to drive?

Thx! :)

...and I have CR'd them, CadillacForum.com'd them, etc. I'd just like get the straight poop from y'all)..

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Unless Cadillac bought Corvette, I think your link is broken.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They've got hot-linking protection, gotta copy/paste:

http://img.netcarshow.com/Cadillac-Seville_STS_2002_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

"a New-to-me Car" :p

I would love a Cadillac CTS.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Why would you buy one of them over something European or Japanese?

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The STS does nothing for me. The CTS is, imo, a far superior vehicle in every respect.

Still, if that's your thing, more power to you. You're right about the depreciation - an STS will be cheap. :)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well they're cheap because their value drops faster than a rock.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Some people would never think of buying one. I wouldn't. I bought a new Chevy in September and have been extremely happy with my decision. Back in 06, I was out to buy a new car and went to the Toyota dealer. Looked at the Scions and the new Toyotas as well and wasn;t impressed with anything they had. The only good Scion was that tC but it had these aweful clips holding wiring down and they were all visible. Went accross the street and got a new Chevy and haven't had a problem with it. Now I have two Chevys and both are fine.

100,000 mile warrantys are now included.

I would buy the Cadillac over the Buick although they are still both GM.

11. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

I'd personally go for a CTS. Much more solidly built car than the old model, floaty, badly built, creaky STS. (New one is much better though.)

12. Melrose thread starter Suspended

Melrose

I don't like Toyota or Honda (I'm not debating their reliability).. some of the new Hondas look sharp enough but they's new (too expensive). Anything that comes from Europe is too pricey - and I've heard horror stories about VW.

I had my eye on the Seville STS a few years ago, but couldn't find one close enough - I try not to drive too far to buy anything. Since my current trouble I'm eyeing one again..

13. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

As the owner of a 2000 Seville STS, I can tell you it's a love/hate relationship. The hate mainly stems from the reliability, which is none to pretty. Other than that, I adore the car. It's powerful motor, extremely sexy, and has a very plush interior. There are many things to look out for on the Seville's relliability sheet; these include:

*Headgaskets/coolant leaks
    *Electronic suspension annoyances
    *65-70MPH Seville Shimmy
    *Trunk leaks

The headgaskets are the biggest; the headbolts pull from the block, allowing coolant in the cylinders and hurting the engine. This repair ranges from $2500-$5000, depending on who does it. Make sure to check the car for coolant leaks and if you smell lots of coolant while driving or it runs hot, walk away.
    The suspensions are expensive due to the electronic shock/struts, cost $1000 a pop. You can avoid this if you get the Mangeride Suspension, available only on the late '02-'03 STS. The shimmy is also common, caused by a design the the Seville's K-Body. Best fix is a road force balance, which balances each wheel separately. Trunk leak can be fix by a seal or gasket in the trunk.

The Seville's are extremely expensive to maintain, yet when properly done are amazing vehicles. Make sure to get a '02-'03 STS, as they come with MagneRide Suspension (from Corvette and Ferrari) and they also have the fewest problems.

Also check out, Cadillac Owners. It's a great forum full of information.

14. Melrose thread starter Suspended

Melrose

^^ +1. Thanks for the details - I had heard something about the oil pan? That may have been in reference to the older models though.

Thanks for the forum link too. Signed up! :) I like the angles of the new ones, but that Caddy I think is the last of the 'classics.' I love that look.

15. sailnavy macrumors member

Caddy

I heard GM is goin out of business. Might be better to buy a Ford if you really want a Big Three car. Ford is the most likely to survive.

16. Frisco macrumors 68020

Your post epitimizes why GM is in the trouble it is in. When is GM going to make a decent head gasket?