Thinking of ading DivX to AppleTV; Patchstick.ca or ATVFlash?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MrMister111, Jan 11, 2010.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I got an Apple TV for Xmas. I knew it wouldn't play DivX etc. But I'm finding the converting of my stuff to M4 for APpleTv to be a long process.

I basically want no bells and whistles just a way to play DivX wirelessly over my network. I want to keep the Apple v3 interface etc (wife and kids use it to, so has to be easy!), and just a way to access the files.

So I have read u[ and bit, and although theres free ways, it seems a ot of manual input to get it all working. I then read about ATVFlash and Patchstick.ca.

I dont mind paying although they do seem a bit expensive for what I want..ie 1 menu item for access and playing of DivX files

Anyone got either of these? which is best? any discounts available etc?
    cheers

2. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

ATVFlash is 49.99 per year, patchtstick.ca is 39.99 per year and they include additional functions such as twitter, bittorrent, openvpn etc.
    patchstick.ca offers a free base version to test, ATVFlash does not.

3. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

Make your own patchstick with Perian codecs for free

4. jlasoon macrumors 6502

I'm not a coding geek, but even I managed to get get Boxee, XBMC and Perian on my AppleTV without any issues.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok decided on ATV Flash, read around web, and some said about patcchstick support probs. Patchstick was $40/yr, or $70 for lifetime

Bought the 2yr for $55. I know you can do a own brand install but looks a lot of hassle, and I couldn't be bothered with that. I didn't really want to do this to my AppleTV at all, but to release the rest of the functionality I thought I had to.

All I have installed is the extra codecs and NitoTV for playing over a wireless network. Easy setup, and couldn't get connected 1st, but ATV support emailed few times to help. Now connected ok.

Seems a nice easy interface and can then update apps without having to do a full install again.

I now want a way though of having some cover art as at the moment its just a list of files - anyone?

cheers