Thinking of an Airport Express...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by roadbloc, Dec 13, 2010.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

So, let me get this straight. It boosts wifi, enables wireless printing, wireless music playing and is small enough to fit into your pocket?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep. About the same size as the MagSafe adapter. It doesn't just boost WiFi, it can be your only wireless router.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

3. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

There are no limitations to these features is there? Like, for example, it can only boost from certain wireless routers or it can only print from certain printers?

Just checking... I'd hate to buy it and then find out I need to buy even more to use it fully.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Plug in any USB printer and you're set to go. It can extend an existing wireless network, or plug an ethernet cable in from any router and it can create a wireless network. It's my only wireless router, creating a wireless network from my cable modem. Any Mac or PC you choose can join the network.

5. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Now where is my debit card....?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

8. mfram macrumors 65816

Well hold on there, the APE is designed to extend WiFi networks from Apple products. There are several "standards" for doing stuff like that and they aren't all compatible. The APE may not be able to extend your network if you don't have an Apple router. And even when it is compatible, keep in mind there are tradeoffs like slowing down the network speed. For me, I use my APE purely for the AirTunes functionality. That's worth it alone.

9. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Yes, this is true. I bought my Express thinking that it would extend my home network (I use a linksis n-router) but it simply won't work. It'll only extend if you have another Apple router. Still, I'm gonna keep mind for whenever I decide to travel.