Thinking of an iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CrazyChihuahua, Mar 1, 2008.

1. CrazyChihuahua macrumors newbie

So, my main PC has been having a lot of problems lately, and instead of dumping more money into it, I'm thinking of upgrading (as it's about 3 and a half years old) to a new computer. I'm thinking an iMac might be good.

What I'd basically use it for would be for day-to-day things like chatting and for music and movies and such. Also, I'd be using it for Flash and possibly other Asobe CS3 suite programs in the future. It appears my tablet is also compatible with OS X, so that's good too. I've decided to be done with computer gaming for now, as I wasn't doing much anyways, so that isn't much of a concern.

I was thinking of the 2.4ghz 20" iMac with 2 gigs of ram, but I'm thinking that 2.0ghz might be sufficient as well with no gaming going on. Would that be good enough for my needs? It's also a fair bit cheaper than the 2.4ghz one.

Lastly, what's this I hear about the wireless keyboard missing buttons and such? Just curious, as I was thinking of the wireless one.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The wireless keyboard doesn't have a number pad. Something to consider if you use one all of the time.

The 2.0Ghz will probably suit your needs. However, keep in mind that the processor isn't something you'll be able to upgrade in the future. It may be worth bumping up to the next level so that your iMac is more futureproof.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Either version will fit your needs well, but I don't think it's worth the cash for an extra 400 MHz (Unless the screen size is different or something; sorry, these updates have me all mixed up :))

As said before, the wireless keyboard does not have a number pad, and that may or may not affect you.

4. Hoo03 macrumors regular

Yup. I took this same approach when I purchased 2.4 instead of 2.0. For $300, I felt that the faster processor, upgraded video card, and extra HD was worth it.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd go with the 2ghz model. Save $300 each year, and in three years you can replace it with a then-current iMac that'll blow the 2.4ghz processor out of the water.

6. CrazyChihuahua thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of going with the 2.0ghz model. The other thing I'm curious about is adding more ram. From what I've read, it seems it's pretty easy to install. How much room is there to add in ram in addition to the minimum of 1gb that's already in there? I'll do more reading of the FAQ's about getting and installing ram, but I'm just curious.

Thanks folks!

7. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

you could buy another 1gb chip and get 2gb in total

or buy 2 (2gb) chips and get 4gb in total

id reccomend 2gb in total