Thinking of an InvisibleShield-type shield? DON'T!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by peestandingup, Apr 7, 2010.

1. peestandingup macrumors regular

Got my full body clear shield in today from Phantom Shield. Here was my email back to them:

Let me also tell you guys something else. Like I said, Im not a novice at installing these shields at all, but the other problem for the ones for the iPad is that because of the sheer size of the front & back, the shield pieces are massive as well. So that means its almost IMPOSSIBLE to install it correctly since the individual pieces are so big.

What ends up happening is, the shield starts falling onto/sticking to itself when you're lining it up because its heavy with water solution. Then, the size (again) makes it hard as ever-lovin' hell to get it centered straight after it is on. And you cant move it around as freely while its on the device (again, cause the size is so big) like you can with the ones for smaller phone-like devices. It just doesnt want to move freely, even if its drenched with water solution. So you end up ripping it off & trying again..and again...and again...till finally you realize its just not working & you've probably put as much water on your iPad as you'd like. And also the shield ends up being less sticky after soaking it again & again & again.

Seriously guys, just stay away. Its not worth the trouble or price. Plus, the iPad is pretty scratch-resistant anyway.

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

How is installing it on a bigger device more difficult?

I had not trouble at all putting a BSE skin on my Macbook Pro.

3. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Sticky stuff = No

Non-glare glass = Just say yes

4. peestandingup thread starter macrumors regular

Thats probably because your Macbook Pro is all flat. The front of the iPad wasnt that bad (I explained what happened with it) since its flat. But since the back of the iPad is in sorta a "bubble" shape & isnt flat anywhere except around the center, its a real PITA to get it on there straight without getting it uneven with hangovers on the edges, etc.

But you all can try it. You may have better luck than me. But like I said, I've installed probably a dozen shields in my day & this one was a real bear.

5. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Had a girl put an invisible shield on my screen today in 10 minutes, looks great. I would recommend you have someone who knows what they are doing put them on.

6. guycross macrumors member

Do I need to find a specific girl? Or will any girl be able to do it?

7. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Can you take a picture of the squeegee they sent you? When I installed mine the squeegee worked fine, its a nice easily bendable plastic. I don't see how you could have gotten such bad scratches? Did you spray the exterior of the shield when squeegeeing it to act as a lubricant? Odd...

On a side note, using a blowdryer on the curves and corners makes it stick and dry much quicker.

Edit: thought you meant the actual Invisible Shield by ZAGG, my mistake.

8. peestandingup thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, all for the low low price of $50, for a thin piece of plastic. Sorry man, that's just insane.

And I guess I'd be good at it too if that was my job & I did it day in day out. I'm just warning people who try to do it on their own, even people who have done it many times before on other smaller devices. And especially the "squeegee" issue with Phantom Skinz. Take my advice or don't.

I didn't have to come here to post this guys. I just love how you try to help people & get "FAIL" & other childish sh*t. What are you guys? Twelve years old?

9. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Preferably one like i found who sells them and is used to putting them on all day.

10. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

what about the solution? worried at all about getting it in the machine??

11. Canedrive macrumors member

I think most of these shields are a waste of time, and just detract from the countless hours put into the design and feel of the product.

Other than a decent carry case for transportation, I don't see the need for added protection. Look after your gear and it will look after you... ;)

12. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I assume there's a reason apple stopped stocking this kind of product. My last iPhone did fine for 2.5 years without a piece of plastic glued to the front, I think people underestimate the toughness of the screen. Didn't one of the tech blogs recently try to scratch the screen with a nail and fail to do so?

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think people overestimate the toughness of the screen. I spent three years with no shield on an iPod touch and it got scratches on the screen. Metal won't mar the glass, but sand will. Get a single grain of sand onto the glass and then anything rub against it and you will get scratches.

As for the OP... well, all I can say is people have been putting this type of skin on large items for years without problems. Did you let the skin dry overnight after installing it? Most of those scratches would have "healed" given a little time. If you really had installed these before you should have seen them appear on most of the other items you have used, and known that this type of skin "heals" given a little time.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I use invisible shield by zagg. The squeegee they include is a soft rubber piece that will never scratch the film. I had no problem putting it on my iPad, and no problem when I put it on my Macbook air a couple of years ago (which was a much bigger piece). My advice is to find your own squeegee, even a credit card would work.

By the way, I only applied the back film on my iPad. I agree the front is not necessary, but the aluminum on the back is easily scratchable, and I don't like putting on a case. It adds too much bulkiness, and even more so kills the look and feel of the beautiful iPad.

15. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I guess I'm never in a situation where sand would be rubbing against my devices. Just goes to show YMMV, I guess.

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Do you use a case with a flap that covers the screen (like the Apple case)? Do you put said case in a bag? A little tiny sand from anywhere (beach, obviously, somewhere concrete is being mixed, etc) falling into your bag, then gets between the screen and the cover flap, the flap shifts a little back and forth while you walk, and boom, scratch.

It'll happen to lots and lots of people.

17. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I just spit Coffee all over my keyboard...

I don't know why it struck me so funny, I should have seen it coming :D

18. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

I installed my invisibleshield on my ipad just fine. This the same exact reason apple is not gonna sell these anymore. Too many people mess up and for some reason feel they should be able to return it.

19. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

After seeing :apple: pull those screen protectors I decided to pull mine from my iPhone. Glad I did. What I found, upon removal, was a small amount of residue. It was a goos quality protector too. The residue came off but this was enough to convince me to go naked on my screens for the iPhone and iPad. I'll just keep them in cases when not in use and let common sense prevail when using them :)