Thinking of Apple Tv

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abz1981, Feb 28, 2013.

1. abz1981, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi

Thinking of buying Apple Tv. Is it a good time to buy. I have a few questions though.

1. For those in the UK is it possible to Air Play BBC I player content to Apple Tv from my iPhone.

2. I understand I can view content on my itunes such as movies, music and pictures on Apple Tv. How about any sites that I am streaming, for example if I have a movie or a football game on stream, can i stream this to Apple Tv.

3. Can I pick and choose what I want on Apple Tv from my iTunes.

4. If my mba is on sleep, and I am away from the house will someone still be able to use Apple Tv and see my content from iTunes, if I do not want them to see it.

5. If I am using netflix does the account have to be active on my mba for me to use it on Apple Tv. Or can I use netflix direct on Apple Tv.

6. I am new to netflix, however If I want to change content from netflix UK to the USA version, can i still do this and use it on Apple Tv.

7. How can I view my own content for example movies i may have downloaded not from itunes or netflix on Apple Tv.

Em thats all the questions I can think of for now. If anyone can answer that be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

It's probably a good time to buy. They just did a slight bump on the internals, but no new user-facing features.

1. Apparently, yes, you can.

2. If you have a supported Mac (or 3rd party AirPlay app), you should be able to stream anything from your computer to the AppleTV.

3. Yes, if it plays in iTunes, it can stream to the AppleTV.

4. If your computer is sleeping, the AppleTV won't be able to stream content from the iTunes library (with the exception of iTunes in the cloud purchases).

5. You sign in to your netflix account directly on the AppleTV.

6. I don't know. The AppleTV probably defaults to either your location (ISP) or whatever your netflix account is set to. I'm not sure which and I'm not sure how to change it.

7. See numbers 2 & 3. If it can play in QuickTime or iTunes, you can stream it to the AppleTV (mp4 & m4v video files). If not, you will have to use a 3rd party AirPlay app (mkv & avi files). Or get an HDMI adapter and plug your MBA directly into the TV.

3. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your reply. How can i tell the one I am buying is the latest model. I mean some places sell Apple tv but not sure if its the latest one, will it show on the box or something?

4. Stewart21 macrumors regular

1) Also 4oD, ITV Player but not Sky Go.

6) See here http://www.laptoptelly.com/index.html I'm not recommending these people but using a VPN can allow you to watch UK stuff overseas and US stuff when in the UK.

I just bought a new Apple TV 3rd Generation today from Amazon UK for £82, and an HDMI cable for 99p. I've been watching them for weeks on ebay and even used ones go for about £85-£90 so I reckoned £82 was a good price. Don't know which cpu it has but I don't really care.

5. Mydrivec macrumors member

6. Moakesy macrumors regular

Moakesy

Worth it...

I'd tend to agree, it doesn't really matter if you have the latest as long as the price is right. A cheaper but slightly older model may meet your needs just as well as having the latest spec. Buy from the Apple store if it you want to be sure what you are getting.

Either way, Apple TV is really worth having if you want to watch anything from your iPhone/iPad, show holiday snaps to friends etc. I got mine in the USA and use it works fine in the UK, so if you plan to visit there soon with work/holiday it will be cheaper for you.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

As far as I know, the only difference between the latest model & the latest revision is that the latest revision has an A5X processor as opposed to the A5 and a slightly redesigned antenna--I don't think they even changed the model numbers. As long as the box says 1080p, it's the latest model.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/30...alth-update-will-not-affect-product-features/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/29/new-apple-tv-has-a5x-chip-and-single-wlan-bluetooth-antenna/

Oddly enough, the previous generation that only does 720p tends to sell for more because it can be jailbroken whereas the current version (1080p) cannot.

8. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that. I have like £50 vouchers for John Lewis I can pick from. So thinking of using my vouchers towards apple tv.

----------

cheers well i am going to go for it. I been pondering over getting a you view box for the sake of bbc i player etc on demand on my tv. But as I have free view channels on my tv, and I wont be having sky anymore. Then this is something I can use in my living room and what movies etc from netflix and other places will be ideal as well as other uses. Live pause tv aint going to be something I am going to be interested in anymore. So going to go for this.