Thinking of buying 15 inch rMBP today.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacChinoNyc, Dec 24, 2012.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

Always been a windows user, I guess always easier to get and use apps. Im in the market for a laptop upgrade and went into microcenter with my eyes set on a gaming laptop specifically the Asus RoG 75vw-dh72 until I saw the display and windows 8 in person. If for me there was ever a time for the switch well here it is. I'm no huge adobe person I do watch a lot of online streaming content,and other basic uses. Would be cool if you could write/practice bash type scripting on Mac osx.

Couple of questions, thinking of the base model 2199. Do they give university discounts at the apple store? Also do they have extra models with upgrades at the store say I wanted the base model with 12gb ram if even necessary? And I guess last question for now, do they give the university discount on accessories and apple care at the store?

Thoughts/advice for a PC person/suggestions? Thanks in advance happy holidays :)

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

In the UK they will give student discounts in store, providing you bring proof of status. The Apple stores don't do BTO versions but 12GB is not an option that Apple sells its either 8 or 16GB.

3. lightz39 macrumors regular

I believe they give the discount right in the store. For me at least I did not receive any kind of discount on accessories or applecare. Lastly they tend to only have the base options at the store. If you want upgraded ram you'll have to bto I believe.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Your best option is to go to your local Apple store and get a student discount on the $2199 15" cMBP there. I'm not sure about AppleCare or accessories, but I think the education discount applies to those as well ... best to check with the Apple Store to confirm that.

You won't be able to customize anything at the store, though. However, you can get an "aftermarket" hard drive or RAM upgrade for a lot cheaper than if you did it with a BTO customization from Apple. We're talking hundreds of dollars cheaper here.

The Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600 SODIMM RAM kit works really nice with the latest Macbook Pro's. That would be my first recommendation for RAM upgrade.

Samsung 840 Pro is currently the best SSD out there, and seems to work nicely with the latest Macbook Pro's as well, if the disk is too slow for you in that model.

5. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry meant 16gb. I would prefer the rMBP due to the nice display though.

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Only version I have seen in store with 16gb is the ultimate version which is close to 4k

7. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

In the USA they will give you $200 off in the store with proof of your status as a student. $110 off on the Applecare too if you want that. They have only the retail models in store, if you want to customize you have to order online or on the phone and I think you can still get the education discount that way too.

8. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Oops. In that case, you're only option to upgrade the RAM is to do it with a BTO option through the Apple website, with that $2199 rMBP model. As a student, the base one that has 16GB is probably way over your budget.

Upgrading that base $2199 rMBP model is an extra $200 or so (not including the educational discount.) That's a far cry from over a thousand more for the base model that has the 16GB with it.

9. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

I went for it and bought the base 15" rMBP with the student discount. I've yet to open it, waiting until later on when the christmas gathering slows down. Any first time recommended sites to visit? Maybe free apps to try?

10. lightz39 macrumors regular

11. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

That is so cool. Welcome to the world of Mac. There will still be things that piss you off. Especially with the price you paid. But overall in due time I think you'll wonder why you haven't been using Mac your whole life. You didn't mention if you are using a iPhone, but if you are then the relationship between your Apple products is going to please you.