Thinking of buying a 64GB iPhone 5s - thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Totally, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of buying a 64GB iPhone 5S for 3 reasons. 1: my 32GB I phone 5 is basically full and I need more space. 2: it appears the new "flagship" iPhone, the iPhone 6, may only come in 4.7 and 5.5 inch and I am stounchly against big phones (I don't want to hold a tablet to my ear to talk to someone - if I did I'd get an iPad mini). The 4inch is perfect size. 3: apple will support it longer.

So I am thinking of upgrading to a 5S instead of a 6. The 4th reason is I am a jailbreak user and I would never upgrade to a nonjailbreable device.

So my question is - did apple manufacture any 64GB iPhone 5S's on 7.1.x? Or did they stop the 64GB run with 7.0.x?

If they stopped on 7.1.x, if I asked for an old one might I get a 7.0.x? I understand that the fewest 64s are bought so it's the best chance to get an older device. I was just wondering given my thoughts now, if it's worth trying.

Thanks everyone for the input!

2. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Why would they stop making the 64GB's at iOS 7.0.x….

4. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I think you really ought to wait. First, you have no idea how big the 4.7" will be. If it's anything like the Moto X, there really isn't much of a difference size wise between that and the iPhone 5.

Second, iOS 8 looks like a SIGNIFICANT upgrade in many ways. Chances are you may not even really want to jailbreak after you use iOS 8. I'd just wait.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

It's the luck of the draw, old one or new one. I don't think apple will rummage around in their stock. But it seems you know why you want one, so go for it.

6. cnotes2019 Suspended

Find one on eBay or swappa.com and can verify which ios 7 version it's on before buying :). Not saying it's definite but there is a slim chance that ios 8 will be jailbroken at some point in the future possibly maybe but no one knows for sure at this point :)

7. Totally thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally

They sell less 64Gb's than 16Gb, so the original and older stocks last much longer. For that reason they may have stopped making them before iOS 7.1.x because they had enough already to keep up with demand.

Thanks for the inputs everyone :) Appreciate the thoughts. Just wanted to see what other people think are thinking.

8. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Over the last 2 weeks two family members bought iphones from Best Buy - Sprint 64gb came with 7.04 and my sons Verizon 32gb came with 7.04....luck of the draw is definitely true

9. Totally thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally

Thank you, that gives me some hope. My guess is all the 16GB's are on 7.1 now, but the bigger ones they sell less of may not be yet or ever. Thanks!

10. DrunkinMacbook macrumors member

well look at the box and look at the phone/SMS app if it is dark green it is 7.1 if it is light greed is is 7.0.6.

11. Ann P macrumors 68020

Wow. Hope you're joking.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Probably not, it might be true about iMessage but the phone has to be activated, defeating the purpose...

13. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

He's being serious, but it's so subtle its barely noticeable.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 5s is a great phone but in a few months the 6 will be announced and you'd be able to get a 5s for less.

Or the 4.7" iPhone 6 will actually be a decent size, with slim bezels similar to the Moto X.

Personally I'd wait.

15. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Agree, unless you get a good deal. I found a mint 32gb 5s in gold for 500$ and I jumped on it. Applecare till feb of next year, I'll sell it for 400 when the 6 comes out maybe a little less, not losing too much.

16. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Well, I'm in your same situation. My 16gb ip5 is out of space, and ima. Jail breaker. I'm going to hold off until the 6 comes out, then upgrade, and use my 5 until iOS 8 is jail broken... So I will be using my 5 for another 8 months probably...

----------

It doesn't have to upgrade to be activated....

----------

If you end up getting a 5s, buy one from Walmart and use a serial number checker. Nobody buys 64gb at Walmart anyways, but just to be on the safe side.

17. Totally thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally

I figured I wasn't the only person in this situation. Interesting idea with walmart. I was going to try to buy one off ebay and ask when it was purchased first before buying. I'll have to think about walmart and try that if I do it.

18. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

and also, use this if you buy a brand new one from a store. just ask to see a few because you want to check the serial number to see what iOS version it's on. they usually won't give you an y problems.
    http://ios.joshuaturner.co

Good luck!

19. Totally thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally

Awesome thanks!

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I wouldn't buy one now. we think we know what apple is releasing but no one is sure but apple. if nothing else the 5S will be cheaper after the announcement when everyone sells.

21. Camoxide macrumors regular

Is there even any point to jailbreaking anymore? Most of the features that you could get from jailbreaking have been added anyway. And if you're after that extra ability to customise you might as well go with Android.

22. sohaloh macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone 5S 64 GB last week because my old one was stolen. It was on iOS 7.0.4. So yeah go ahead if you want a jailbreakable phone.

23. 617aircav Suspended

I jaikbroke my 5s to tether. People will still jailbreak for that extra functionality.

24. Totally thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally

Thank you for that input :) Was it from an apple store?

25. sohaloh macrumors regular

Yep direct from the apple store.