Thinking of buying a Canon 1000D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tombarnes, Jan 15, 2010.

1. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Hello all,

As the title suggests, I am thinking of buying a Canon 1000D. I have 3 questions:

1) Would anyone recommend this as a suitable camera for keen amateur?
    2) Should I go for a Nikon equivalent or stick with Canon? If Nikon, which model?
    3) I understand that the 1000D is coming up to 2 years old. Does anyone know if it's likely there will be an update to this model soon?

I am looking to spend under £400. I am specifically looking at this deal (I want a lens to start off with)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-1000D...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263597918&sr=8-1

Cheers!

Tom

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I wouldn't get that one mostly because it's the non-IS version of the 18-55mm. The IS version is much better.

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

PMA is next month, so there are likely to be some new cameras announced then, including two new Rebels (if the rumors are accurate). If true, prices of the current models will drop.

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes, although if you're really keen you might want to look at the 500 instead - and its better bundled lens, screen and video facilities.

I think the Canon is fine value, and I think that Canon offers a wider range of good usable new and used lenses for the keen amateur. That said, both Canon and Nikon do the job well and you won't go wrong with either - you should head down to the local camera shop and let your personal preference WRT the ergonomics make your decision for you.

DSLRs (from all the manufacturers) are usually updated during the big international camera fairs, PMA in the US and Photokina in Germany.

PMA is on in mid Feb, and a refresh to both the Canon and Nikon entry level cameras are expected. The Canon 500D is less than a year old, so will probably not be refreshed.

5. tombarnes thread starter macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Thanks for the rapid replies.

Phrasikleia & Firestarter - I think I may wait it out until PMA next month. Although, Firestarter, I think I'll take your advice and head down to Jessops next week. It's always nice to get hands on with these things, even if there may be an imminent update.

miles01110 - Excuse my ignorance, what is the difference between IS and non-IS?

Thanks again.

Tom

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

IS is Canon's anti-shake technology.

Generally speaking, if you have a 100mm lens, you need to be shooting with a shutter speed of at least 1/100th of a second to avoid getting a blurred picture due to camera shake.

On the IS lenses, sensors and servos in the lens counteract any movement due to shake - Canon say you should be able to get similar shake-free results with a shutter speed 3 stops (8 times) slower - say 1/15th second.

In effect this means better sharpness and the ability to take nicer shots indoors without resorting to flash.