Thinking of buying a core duo macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by evangelion-01, Dec 17, 2008.

1. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

Hey there chumps, I used to have a core duo macbook , but had to let go of it :(, Miss me some os x so im thinking about getting a pro so i can atleast play some bf2. Since you can get 2.4ghz c2d macbooks from apple for about $1350, how much should I be looking to pay for a 2.0ghz core duo macbook pro? Thank you guys, i just don't want to over pay :).

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Take a look at fleabay's completed auctions. That will give you a good idea of what others are actually paying for them.

3. svndmvn Guest

This might not be the advice you're looking for, but see if you can play that game decently on the newer macbooks, they'd be cheaper than your option, way faster, I'd say better value,new and with a warranty.
    Or a refurb, be it MB or MBP, as I don't know if you'd really want a bigger screen,etc.
    C2D is supposed to be something like 20/30% faster than CD.
    the last generation MBs actually had quite a good gfx card,even though integrated.

4. mBurns macrumors 6502

I bet you can find a Core Duo for... $900-$1200.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $600 for one.....not unless I was desperate for it. This is assuming I'd ever be interested in one anyway. Saying that, the market value for such a machine is a bit higher because it's a MacBook Pro, and Apple users overpay for used goods. I know because I've sold my used Macs for WAY more than I was expecting. However, since the switch to Intel, this has become less of an issue for those looking to buy a used Mac.

Those machines had a limit of 2 GB of RAM. I don't know how I could ever look past this shortcoming. Totally kills the machine for me.