Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imelissa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
so right now i have a dell studio 15 brand new and now giving me lots of problems so im thinking of buying a macbook pro. whats so good about a mac? and witch one is better the 13 inch or the 15 inch? and is the school promotion worth waiting till next time like a year? (the buy a mac get a free ipod deal) :confused:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The school promotion is worth waiting for if you can afford to wait. Also, the 13" is better if your choices are 13" or 15" without a dedicated graphics card. If you need a dedicated graphics card, the 15" or 17" are the only Macbook's with a dedicated card.

Also, if your new Studio 15 isn't working right, why not have Dell fix it? If you spend that much money, why would you want to spend more when you could just have Dell fix it for you?

imelissa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
The school promotion is worth waiting for if you can afford to wait. Also, the 13" is better if your choices are 13" or 15" without a dedicated graphics card. If you need a dedicated graphics card, the 15" or 17" are the only Macbook's with a dedicated card.

Also, if your new Studio 15 isn't working right, why not have Dell fix it? If you spend that much money, why would you want to spend more when you could just have Dell fix it for you?

well i called dell and they wont do anything about it there are alot of studio 15ns not working all they will do is change the screen but that wont fix the problem of my black flashing screen. yeah i know notice dell does not help ther customers

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
It's snappier. :)

The 13 is nice, but the 15 is nicer. Buy it when you NEED it. If not you never will.

OS X & the included software make it so great. Overall, so reliable.

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
i would definitely buy the mac now because you are just going to keep having problems with dell. especially if they wont even fix the problem you have now. i just got out of a bad relationship with dell myself. it stopped working after having it for exactly 2 weeks. i took it back and am now using my older dell that works (thankfully). if i was you i would just take the dell back and buy a mac. i myself am waiting till i can get the money to buy a mac.

Masters512

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
wait for the next line-up of macbooks or the "tablet" if you can... apple always makes their macbooks faster, better, and cheaper a couple times a year. :rolleyes:

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
The hardware is nice, but the OS is the real star of the show.

Actually, Macs use mediocre parts at best. The difference is in the software support, hardware construction, and warranty coverage.

It's snappier. :)

I know Safari is!

The 13 is nice, but the 15 is nicer.

If you need something large. Personally, I prefer portability to screen space or speed, so I think the 13" is nicer. However, if you're going to be using it at your desk a large portion of the time, getting a bigger display or a second monitor makes sense.

Buy it when you NEED it. If not you never will.

Indeed. No matter what you buy and when you buy it, I promise it will be out of date by this time next year.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
It is personal preference, but you really should give it a chance.

I'm sure everyone here has an everyday item they use a lot, and they've never seen a "high end" version of.

You use regular earbuds with your MP3 player that cost $20.00, but there are $160.00 and $300.00 earbuds out there, and ones that cost way more than that.

It's tempting to look at something that much more expensive as ridiculous. How much better could it possibly be?

There's a very good reason Macs are priced the way they are. They won't always be the fastest computers out there, or compare to some of the wild PC specs. But use one for long enough, even if it's just on a bunch of trips to the Apple store doing the sort of things you normally do on a computer, and you'll understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.