Thinking of buying a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fabriciom, Feb 3, 2009.

1. fabriciom macrumors 6502

I've kinda want to buy a mac pro. I work with logic and my current setup is kind of buggy. Im not sure if its the machine or the software. Also the mac pros are so gawd dam expensive. I would also need to get a new soundcard because my RME 9632 is PCI which would mean another 500€. Any ways dont know what to do...

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What to do? Wait for the new model. By that time you will have saved up a little more money.

And if they're too expensive, buy a refurb of the current model after the new ones come out.

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I think that is the most logical solution unless you are in a desperate hurry for it.

4. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the new models where gonna include the 8 cores xeon but the rumor mill is saying that that is not likely. Im in no hurry, I would just like a nicely priced mac pro for about 2000€. Not too sure about the refurbished stuff. If they would state what they where refurbished for I might think about it. But since I don't know what they have done to the machine I wouldn't want to risk buying a lemon...

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You risk less chance of buying a lemon when going the refurbished route. They are thoroughly tested before resale.

6. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the link for refurbished items? I cant seem to find it...

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They were never going to have Beckton.

They will, however, have eight physical cores and 16 logical cores.

Just do what I said to get the best value for your money if you can't afford a new one.

Heck, provided that Apple doesn't screw Penryn users over, you might be able to use a graphics card from the Nehalem Mac Pro in the refurb if you buy one.

8. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the bus speed in the current mac pros and what will be the bus speed of the coming pros? Also can i buy say a current mac pro with one cpu and buy a pair aftermarket xeons and install them? Or just another 2.8 to make it dual....

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Without upgrading the RAM or HDD from Apple, the computer is very cheap.

10. rareflares macrumors regular

so true. i just configured a computer with almost the same specs on dell.com and hp and i was blown away how much more expensive they were. easily $500-1000. Buy refurbished an you'll be saving $1000-1500 over a similarly spec'd PC that doesn't have OSX.

11. omikjam macrumors member

It might be cheaper than the competition, but €2240 (~$2921) is still a lot of money. :eek:

12. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

You sir, must be rich. Lets not kid our selves here. Mac has improved pricing but they are still expensive. Base system with the 8800GT is 2.572,94€ in spain. I dont know for you but for me and here in general that is a whole lot of money basically two months pay for typical worker.

13. Ploki macrumors 68020

thats 4 months pay for typical worker in my country (and yes, im from europe..)