Thinking of buying a MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Furifo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Furifo macrumors 6502

I'm sick of windows now and wish to use the far superior operating system, OSX. I'm a student (so therefore I'm poor :D) and my budget just about stretches to an MB courtesy of Apple's education discount. Just got a few questions:
    1) I've heard that the outer body of the MB's are prone to cracking. How likely is this? I always treat my notebooks carefully. Not got a single scratch on my ancient 5 year old notebook. Never extend the screen too far + always shut the lid if I'm moving from one room to the next.

2) What's the integrated 320M graphics card like? I'm used to having a dedicated graphics card but I don't really game on computers much as I prefer consoles but I do like the odd game now and again on my notebook. I won't be intending to run anything too intensive like Crysis or anything.

3) Will the 2gb ram be enough for most applications? I assume it will as I won't be running very heavy applications. Just your basic word processor/brower/iTunes/IM client combo really. I'd also like to be able to comfortably run applications like photoshop and flash. Nothing professional or anything, just for fun/hobbies really.

I'm almost, almost sold on it. I just need somebody on here to fully convince me. :)

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Those applications will run fine with 2GB of RAM. However, whether they will all run fine TOGETHER is a different matter. If you hope to run multiple Adobe applications at the same time, I'd recommend 4GB of RAM. If you want to run your basic WordInternetMusicIM programs along with Photoshop/Flash, I'd also recommend 4GB of RAM. If you're just gonna run the programs on their own, then 2GB is fine.

3. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I just bought myself a MacBook. I do a lot of Photoshopping, and besides heavy tasks like Panoramas (which still created fast) it was great. You'll love Mac OSX compared to Windows. Well, atleast I did. And the Multi-Touch trackpad... It has made web browsing and many other tasks sooo much easier for me.

If you do get a MacBook, make sure you buy a case or sleeve or SOMETHING. And that white case can get dirty pretty fast... :D
    :apple::apple::D:D:apple::apple:

4. Burning Radio macrumors regular

And a Moshi keyboard cover! LOVE my keyboard cover.

Also, the 320M graphics are fine for the average user. The most graphic intense thing I do is play a little Sims 3 or Photoshop a little and my macbook's integrated graphics are plenty powerful (9400M).

I wouldn't see a need to go for a dedicated graphics card.

5. Furifo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Hmm seems worth upgrading to the 4GB of RAM then especially since I'll be running applications together.

The father of a good friend of mine has just recently bought an iMac and he kindly let me have a go on it. I thought OSX was good but wow.. it's more than good. The entire OS became familiar to me within about 2 minutes which I'm told is pretty much standard for most windows users using macs for the first time. It's a brilliant OS and has me completely sold now. Haven't had a go on a multi-touch trackpad yet but I'm sure it'll be just as brilliant as OSX is.

Yeah, the white case does look like it'll get dirty pretty easily so I'll have to get a sleeve for it. I'm not entirely convinced they've fixed the cracking case problem properly either. I'll have to treat it verrrry carefully.

Sims 3 was exactly the game that I was considering playing on it :D. I'm guessing the newer 320Ms are slightly more powerful than the 9400Ms?

Finally, IMO, the MBP looks alot nicer than the MB and that illuminated keyboard is drool worthy but I'm already stretching my budget going for the MB and I just can't justify paying the extra for some extra ram (which I'll be upgrading to 4GB in the MB anyway) and some extra eye candy.

6. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Only if you treat them badly. Never had a problem and been using them for a long time now.

It's good, you'll be fine.

Yes, however from 2) personally I'm probably going to upgrade to 4gb ram, but do this yourself to reduce the cost if you want it.

Do it because you want it, can afford it and feel that what you gain is useful and productive to you, not because a random guy on a forum told you too!*

*Do it. :D

7. Furifo thread starter macrumors 6502

After having a bit more time messing around on a friend's iMac and all the replies from this thread, I'm completely sold :D. Thanks for all the help guys.