Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
i am selling my rev. B iMac G5 for $899 hopefully, and am considering buying a refurbished rev. A macbook instead of a brand new one, because they are selling for $899 now. i am still paying off the iMac, so the $899 macbook is looking good so that i wouldn't be increasing my debt. my question, however, is whether or not you can customize a refurbished order. i really want 1GB of RAM in the macbook, and want to just pay the $68 extra it costs to have it customized straight into the order rather than having to buy it separately and wasting RAM. so, is this possible?

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
You can't customize a refurb mac. If you wanted you could buy it in-store, but that would be pricey. However, there are people here who have gotten "upgrades" in their refurb machine - larger HDD, more RAM - so it's possible you could get more.

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
you last sentence seems to contradict your first. could you please clarify?

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
You can not specifically pay for an upgrade for a refurb. I have never purchased a refurb computer, but I have read on here that you may receive an computer with better specs than you paid for. You should expect to receive the base model, but it's possible you may get some extras...

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
You can not specifically pay for an upgrade for a refurb. I have never purchased a refurb computer, but I have read on here that you may receive an computer with better specs than you paid for. You should expect to receive the base model, but it's possible you may get some extras...

I can confirm this. My entry level refurbished Macbook, came with an 80gig hard drive instead of the listed 60gig.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
Go and gamble for the free upgrade. If you don't get it, it's easy to just buy the RAM and upgrade yourself. For the price difference, it isn't a waste of RAM.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
The black macbook seems more "worth" it at $1099. The performance difference between a 2.0 CD and 2.0 C2D is neglible.

BTW, my friend bought a refurb white macbook and it came with 1GB (2x512MB) of ram for free.

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
yeah, i'm going to go ahead and buy the $899 macbook once i sell this imac. i've already got a few potential buyers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.