Thinking of buying a....something

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Jan 16, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I, like many on here have been waiting anxiously for a Macbook Pro update but it hasn't come. Hopefully it will soon.

I don't need a Mac if I'm honest, and that's why I've been able to wait since August 2007 for an update, but I really dislike my Windoze PC.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth buying a Macbook or a Mac Mini for the moment, just to get me out of the Windoze camp.

Any ideas?

2. jlwillia macrumors regular

I'm not a big fan of this plan. I'm in a similar situation. I have a Windows laptop that is about 3 years old; I'm looking to make the switch to Mac. However, I'm not willing to buy something that isn't quite what I'm looking for just for the sake of making the switch. I'm content with my slow, decrepit machine until it dies or I find the "perfect" machine for me.

You are probably in a different situation than I am currently in financially though. I'm a student, I can't justify buying a new computer until my current one just won't meet me needs anymore. So I guess take my opinion with a grain of salt....

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Wait on the Mac until you want to get a replacement, install Linux in the interim.

4. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Agree w/trying Linux if your technical adept.

If not, OSX is great. Look on craigslist. I bought my first one there -- got a 2 year old iMac. It was better and faster than my 2 year old PC, and I paid a low fraction of a new one. There are a lot of scams on Craigslist, but if you keep at it, you could get a good replacement in a couple of weeks.