Thinking of buying an Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Marguz, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Marguz macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have few questions:
    1.If I buy the Air now, before Mountain Lion is released, how do I upgrade? Will it cost me any additional money?
    2.I am new to Mac, so if I do upgrade, how all the process of reinstalling the operation system works if I decide to do so? will it install the original operationg system (Lion)?
    3.If I buy a mac online and I live in AK, will I have to pay taxes, and if so, how much?

Thank you all.

2. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

1. You'll get a free upgrade to Mountain Lion with a new Mac purchase. You'll upgrade through the app store, next next next finish. Easy.
    2. Apple's "bios" is pretty clever, you hold down the command key on boot up, from here you can connect to wifi and download the OS for a fresh install. Went through this process the other day and it works great.
    3. No idea about taxes. I've heard Amazon have no taxes? I'm in the UK where they thought it would be a good idea to include taxes in the total price.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Regarding this question, probably the easiest way to find out is to go to Apple's online store, put an item in the cart, and then enter your ZIP code in the field. Apple has a physical presence in almost all states so they will charge the state and local sales taxes based on where they are shipping it to.

As for the Mountain Lion upgrade, you can find out more here http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/.

4. Marguz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Tahnk you very much!

So, after I upgrade to Mountain Lion and decide to reinstall the operating system, I will connect to Wifi and apple will "do" all the work, but will they install the same operating system I already have (mountain lion , after I upgrade) or back to lion and they I will have to upgrade again.. Sorry for this kind of questions..I've used windows for all of my life.

5. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Same OS, namely ML.

6. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Would you guys recommend waiting until ML is native? How long usually after the OS is released does the laptop ship with it pre-installed?

7. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Depends on where you order. If you order online, chances are that the entire lineup will come with ML pre-installed within one or two days after the release of ML. However, if you buy offline at an Apple Store, chances are that you'll have about a week between the release and the updates.