Thinking of buying an iMac, but...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rapicell, Apr 10, 2013.

1. rapicell macrumors regular

I was thinking of getting an imac because I really don't like using my macbook(2008 unibody) so much because I drain the battery so damn quickly and I don't want to have it plugged in so much. However, I don't have the money to afford a 2012 imac and would be getting one off of ebay.

I found a couple late 2009's that I can afford as well as a 2010 (core i3) that I could also afford. I'd mostly be watching movies, surfing the web, school work, and editing photos (CS & Aperture) and possibly adding some external monitors as well while editing photos. Would a late 2009 or a 2010 iMac be worth the money (the most expensive is the 2010 at $700) and do you think apple would support them os wise for a decent time into the future?

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

2010 models maybe. If you can stretch the 2011 variants are a much better machine IMHO.

3. mgoldberg89 macrumors newbie

If you dont want to use your laptop anymore because you have to keep it plugged in a lot, isn't getting a desktop only making the situation worse?

4. rapicell thread starter macrumors regular

I'd prefer to make my laptop's battery (just bought a new one from apple as third party ones have failed me so much) last as long as possible. With my current use I'm draining the battery so quickly between school, home, and when I'm on the go. Getting desktop would allow me to not have to worry about my battery when at home and I can just let it sit for once.

If I want to do my work else where in the house of course I'll just use my laptop, but the main point is to cut down on my laptop use at home and ease my worry of my battery crapping out on me from being drained so often. Plus it'd be nice to have some more power when at home as well.

5. Drharrington macrumors member

Have both 2009 and the 2010 i3. For your use the 2010 would work, even with photos, if you install a SSD. There's an extra SATA on logic board (Sata II) - so largely plug and play. You buy a kit, make fusion drive. OWC has one. If not comfortable - service center can do it. Cheap and easy upgrade. Will really enjoy the machine with that in.

6. rapicell thread starter macrumors regular

Dual drives would be nice, but no way I'd trust myself to open one of those up. Give me a macbook and no problem upgrading it myself, but an iMac and you got me lost haha

7. computerstar, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013

computerstar macrumors newbie

Well the machine will do what you want but there are a few concerns. First it is not only $700. You might endup paying for shipping and taxes. Second, your warranty may be a problem specially if you are in another country. Logicboard and screen repair are high for iMac. So be careful. A very good tip would be to buy locally and get atleast one year warrany. That way if there is a hidden problem with the machine, the seller will never give you a warranty. Thanks for reading.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

With a budget of $700, have you considered a refurb i7 Mini ?

9. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Use your student discount to get a base mac mini, and put the savings towards a used monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then you'll be good for future updates and have usb3 and thunderbolt available.

10. macalec macrumors 6502

I would use the education discount to get a discount. Also the Mac Mini might be the way to go. Those things are small, but powerful. The only thing you need would be an external screen, etc. That would be my thoughts that way you get a new system.

:apple::apple: