Thinking of buying an iMac - will this old software work???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dom74, Jan 25, 2010.

1. dom74 macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I went looking at the new iMac 21.5" with Snow Leopard yesterday. Looks fantastic but my issue is that I have the following software:

Adobe Photoshop CS
    Adobe Illustrator CS
    Quark Xpress 6.5

...and I need to know whether these 'dated' versions will work on a new imac?

Many thanks for anybodys help...

Dom

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

They might run, but not well. You'll need to buy Intel-compatible versions.

3. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Illustrator should still work. My parents have Illustrator 10 and it runs on Snow Leopard without a problem.

4. dom74 thread starter macrumors newbie

...just been doing a bit of further research and found out about 'Rosetta', will installing Rosetta onto a brand new iMac mean I 'll be able to run my old software?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Rosetta is a feature incorporated seamlessly into OS X. It will appear when needed.

That said, I ran CS for a couple of weeks when I first bought a Rev A 2.0 GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro before giving up on it altogether. I never returned to Dreamweaver, and it took me a while (and an Intel release) before I forgave Flash.

That iMac is easily twice as fast as my poor MacBook Pro, but CS was still designed for Mac OS X 10.4 not 10.6. Once again, I suggest that now is the time to upgrade.

If you're running Windows right now, you would have to up/crossgrade anyway.

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I'm still running PS CS on an '08 2.8Ghz iMac. It runs fine, but I bought Elements 6, and it does everything I need. I also ran Quark 6.5 up until a few months ago - it also ran fine.

7. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I am running Photoshop CS with Leopard, and it runs just fine.
    Rosetta is a great piece of work.

8. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i ran indesign CS1 with rosetta and it worked well. not as fluid as photoshop CS4 but then again i wasn't doing any time-sensitive work so i didn't really care. ymmv