Thinking of buying an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacPC, Jan 16, 2008.

1. MacPC macrumors regular

Hi,

I have some basic questions about the iPhone. I just like to know what iPhone users think of it.

For one, can I synchronized my address book info with my MBP or even my PC base Desktop?

Would I be able to use the iPhone as a wireless modem to view websites on my MBP? and can I upload/dwonload (ftp) to my web server? or can I at least save the files to iPhone and upload it there?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I just want to make sure it can do what I want before spending $400.

Thanks in advance.

2. rayward macrumors 68000

Yes it syncs address books (and calendars) with Macs, and Outlook (full version, not Express) on a PC. It also syncs with Google and Yahoo address books.

You cannot use it as a wireless modem to view websites on your MBP, but you can see the full website on your iPhone, so the only loss here is screen size.

You cannot use it to upload ftp, nor can you use it as a hard drive to store files (the latter being one functionality of iPods missing from iPhones that frustrates some users). If you have a .Mac account, you can upload photos taken on your iPhone directly to your web galleries, but that's about all.

However, the SDK is going out in late Feb, at which point I think we'll see an explosion in what you can do with an iPhone. A lot of the "missing" functionality on the device is simply because Apple were the only software provider and they didn't provide the software. Third party developers will very quickly flood the 'net with native apps that will unleash the power of OS X. And let me play Sudoku when in airplane mode!