Thinking of buying an iPod...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Hernan123, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Hernan123 macrumors newbie

I am looking for an MP3 player that can do the following:

1) bookmarks -- if I want to go back and forth between an audiobook and some tunes

2) get music from more than 1 machine -- I may sometimes rip a CD on my Mac laptop, sometimes on my Windows workstation. I would like to be able to copy from both machines to the iPod

Is there any iPod model that can do this?

Thanks in advance

Hernan

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iPod nano or iPod Classic can easily do this, and I believe that the iPod touch and iPhone can do this. Bookmarking just allows the iPod to remember where you where when you leave the book, it is a standard feature of the Audible Audiobooks and optional on all other files.

To work on two machines, you would manually sync with both systems, but you could not take the songs off of of the iPod to put on the other machine without other software.

TEG

3. Hernan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you can bookmark a long MP3 then? That's great.

Also, when you turn off the iPod and turn it back on later, do you go back to the beginning of the MP3, or to the point where you left it?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You have to set the file in iTunes to remember the position, but yes an mp3, AAC, wav, etc. can save the position.

You always start at the point in which you paused, since you don't really turn off the iPod, since there is no power switch. If you do loose power, you start all over on the main menu.

TEG

5. Hernan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

it is possible for an iPod o be formatted for both a mac and a pc at the same time?? I always thought it was one or the other...

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

It can only be formatted for one or the other, however PC formatted iPods work fine with Macs.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If it is formatted for Windows it will work with both, but the iPod touch and iPhone are always FAT32 (Windows), as is I think the nano.

TEG