Thinking of buying an SSD for my MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tinix, Nov 14, 2013.

1. tinix macrumors newbie

So I have mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro and I am thinking of buying an 240-256GB SSD to replace the internal drive. I have been looking at Samsung 840 EVO but I am still undecided because it does not have a SandForce controller and I could not find anywhere whether the OS X TRIM works properly with this drive. So my questions would be:
    1) Can I safely use TRIM enabler with this drive?
    2) If not does it take big performance and lifespan hit ?
    3) Could you maybe recommend some alternatives, preferably 200€ and under?

2. endlightend macrumors member

Hi Tinix,
    I just bought the EVO as well, and I actually haven't gotten it set up yet, so I can't speak from experience. From what I've been reading on the forums though, there's an overall positive experience with the drive and you can enable TRIM either through the terminal (just search the forums or google) or through third party TRIM enabler applications.

At least in America there are some great deals on 240GB SSD's the last few days. The Seagate 600 is on sale for $150, as was the Crucial M500. Intel is obviously the most reliable choice backed by their 5 year warranty, but EVO beats out the rest of the drives the tiniest bit on benchmarks. I'm not too familiar with SSD prices in the EU though, so I'm sorry if that's not much help- the 240GB EVO is hovering at about $175 in the US.

3. tinix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, I think i will stick with the Samsung one especially if you say that trim should work, which was effectively my only worry.