Thinking of buying galaxy note 3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LadyApple, Jan 24, 2014.

1. LadyApple macrumors newbie

iPhone display is to small for me, iPad mini to large because I want to take it with me in my jeans. I like the size of the note 3 and it seems like you can do an awfull lot with it. But I'm into the Apple world. I own an iPad and a macbook pro. So what do I do?:confused:
    Anyone having any experience with the combi note3/ macbook? Does it sync well? Can I get the pictures I take with the Note into iPhoto easily? And what about the users experience with the Note? I've read a lot of very positive reviews. What's your opinion?

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

Lots of threads about this in the 'Alternatives to iOS' forum.

Summary: its nowhere near as slick as iOS syncing, but it is achievable. Samsung do a sort of iTunes equivalent for syncing and file transfer to Mac but it isn't brilliant. Various other file transfer/sync applications are available.

Best way to sync email/calendar/contacts is to set up a GMail account and sync your Mac to that.

Dropbox is good for file and photo syncing (when I got my phone, I got a big chunk of Dropbox space free for 2 years - don't know if that offer is still going).

I did a round up of my experiments with Galaxy Note 2 syncing about a year ago - it is a bit out of date now. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1468070&highlight=galaxy+note+sync

3. oldhifi, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I bought one for the same reason, bigger screen, but I still have my Apple products, yes the Note 3 is very nice and you can get your iTunes music on your Note 3.

http://www.easyphonetunes.com/index.html

4. LadyApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for your responses! Still reading alot about the subject. Don't want any regrets;)

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

My next cell phone and tablet will most likely not be an Apple. I sit in that ever growing camp of people frustrated with Apple insisting everyone has perfect vision. I have seen some other phones and tablets that are far easier to read where menus are concerned and don't require the stupid lame "work around" accessibility crap Apple tells us to use.

The tragedy is that it would be an easy fix for Apple if it bothered to realize that you can have both form and function rather than form over function for screens. Larger menus, sub-menus and a choice between how many icons on the main screen (4x5 can be reduced to 3x4 or so thus allowing larger text under each option etc.)

I'll be the first to admit both the iPhone and iPad have decent power, apps that feel like they work better than many counterparts and then some. I just don't want to have to squint or reach for glasses every time I use either device when the fix would be an easy thing for Apple.

Meanwhile, I'll at least continue with my enjoyment of OSX and Mac computers.

6. LadyApple thread starter macrumors newbie

I want the bigger screen and LOVE all the option to costumize the note 3 offers. Maybe I have outgrown the iDevices:confused: But still, does the note 3 has a place in my Apple world?

7. LadyApple thread starter macrumors newbie

I just came back from the store. Played with the note 3 and it just totally froze after 10 min of play:eek:
    Might be the unit or cause it's a demo, but NOT a great user experience.
    I quess I'm sticking with :apple:

8. yinz macrumors 6502a

It could be because of touchwiz. I hear it is terrible on system resources. You may consider a lighter weight ROM, if you are into that kind of thing.

9. tbjohn macrumors newbie

I had a few of the Android devices including a Samsung galaxy phone a while ago. Here is my opinion :

[Android phone]
    Pros:
    a lot to choose from
    many different screen sizes
    Cons:
    gets slow over time
    sluggish/lack especially with Touchwiz
    hardware specs get higher every year but pathetic os/software/bloatware always degrade the hardware

[iphone]
    Pros:
    very simple and very optimized
    almost no lack/sluggishness
    does not require high spec hardware as much as Androids'
    Cons:
    gets bored after a while
    only one or a few to choose from
    doesn't have back cover
    top/bottom portion take too much space compare to the screen size. This makes iphone unnecessarily taller.
    only 1 fixed screen size

Like I said, this is just my opinion.
    Despite all the benefits of Android phone, I prefer iPhone because of almost no lack/sluggishness in normal use. I really wish Apple bring out with bigger screen size though. At least 5".