Thinking of buying have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Ozzhead, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Ozzhead macrumors member

First off im a MAC and Windows user, I love macs but going to school for a windows networking degree since alost everyone uses windows. So i know both, but right now i have my xbox 360 streaming my files with wmp10. Altough it doesnt want to play them all, codec error on the xboxes part. So how does the Apple TV auctally work?? Do you have to transfer all your files on ites HHD, or do you just stream them over like the xbox?

So after all that would it really be worth it for me? i have about 350GB worth of tv shows/movies. I just love all my apple products but seems to do the same as my xbox/windows... it can rent movies "crappy old ones" but it can.

EDIT: also how does it categorizes shows? least in my itunes it shows just a bunch of random movies...can i orgainze the, form show/seasons?

2. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

You can either stream or sync. This can be defined in iTunes. You can stream from up to 5 different itunes libraries.
    In terms of storage, you can patch your aTV, so you can either use the USB port to connect an external hard drive or you can use a network share to access your files.
    For more info on the patching, PM me.

You will love the aTV.

3. Tweeksy macrumors member

as for the TV shows, it lists them by season and episode number (if you bother to add that data into iTunes, or download it) it's pretty good at ordering them and showing which episodes have or haven't been watched. Menus are pretty slick.

Had an ATV for a couple of months and pretty happy with it, have had a couple of wireless connectivity issues, but these seem to have been fixed with the latest version of iTunes. Haven't had any other problems with it, It's completely silent, usable by the GF and the rental/purchase mechanism is very slick (SD rentals are ready to watch after about 30 secs!)